Biofuel - I am going to do it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biofuel - I am going to do it.

Liverpool's only biofuel forecourt is right near to where I work and charges 82p per litre. I am going tomorrow to try some.

More over, I am going to try and use some veg oil / diesel mix myself and will let you know how I get along.

My other half owns a shop (she is just selling actually) and she can get veg oil from the cash and carry for cheap cheap cheap!!! I am going to buy a big drum and try it 50 / 50 for now.

Will let you all know how I get on.

I reckon it will clear out my fuel system anyway, I am sure I have a blockage.....

If you have any questions for me, just ask.
    www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

Why will it clear a BLOCKAGE?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof
      Liverpool's only biofuel forecourt is right near to where I work and charges 82p per litre. I am going tomorrow to try some.

More over, I am going to try and use some veg oil / diesel mix myself and will let you know how I get along.

My other half owns a shop (she is just selling actually) and she can get veg oil from the cash and carry for cheap cheap cheap!!! I am going to buy a big drum and try it 50 / 50 for now.

I reckon it will clear out my fuel system anyway, I am sure I have a blockage.....

Best thing for a good clear through is bung some automatic transmission fluid in the tank, a lt in a full one every now and then,
      You should'nt have any probs with a 50/50 mix, in fact this weather you can go for an even higher ratio of veg oil, 80/20, it'll smell a bit tho,
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Yeah, it does smell a a bit :o).

I was told by the guy at the biofuel place that I should expect to clean my fuel filter out after a couple of tanks of fuel have been used because it tends to dislodge lots of gunk from the lines in older cars.

I have noticed the smell, it's not that bad and seeing as my fuel now costs half what it used to it could smell of pi$$ for all I care :o).

I got a 20 litre drum of Veg oil for £9.70 - not bad eh?

Comment

Any veg used this month still needs tax paying. You must still register. It ain't worth a dip and fine.

Dave

Comment

using biofuel

I must tell you that I used biofuel (and biofuel veg oil mix) for a couple on months. Bought it from a guy in Southport and latterly from a chap called Nick at Northern Fuels. The former has ceased making biofuel and now is selling un refined recycled oil for conversion. The latter was great, delivered to me in 45 Gallon lots at about 75p/gallon. Thought I was made with this; it worked well and gave lots of power with a lovely smell. Sadly Nick is no longer answering his phone and his nominated dealer no longer sell biofuel.
            However, and this may be pure coincidence, my fuel pump developed a major leak from the back one morning when running on bio. I cleaned the engine down and found that it fuel (which was what it was) was dripping from the rear of the pump somewhere around the point where the four pipes to the injectors connect.
            Still leaking badly (and about 15 mpg) I took it to someone who is rated to know Surfs (mine a 2lte engine by the way). He said there is a diphragm in the pump which leaks and wanted £250 just to remove and replace the pump (and a new timing belt as well). Any work on the pump would be extra.
            While I was waiting for him to return from 1/2 term holiday, nothing heard yet, I bought another pump which had been tested and also reverted to diesel.
            Since then the leak has reduced over one tank and is now invisible. Car is doing about 22mpg nearly all on short runs and green lane.
            QUESTION I ask myself, is there something in bio or SVO which the seals on these pumps doesn't like??? (I can't believe that a diapragm would just heal itself up, but there don't appear to be any leak points at the back of the pump (it is not the gasket on the lid and as an EFI it doesnt have a throttle arm as such).
            Any ideas anyone???

Comment

I mixed 20 litres of veg oil and £7 of diesel and the car works great.

It is a bit lumpy at start up but around 10 seconds on the idle up switch and it evens itself out.

The 'bio' diesel (reclaimed used veg oil, mixed with solvents) could, I suppose, corrode any rubber seals or sensitive areas on the fuel line.

Vegetable oil, mixed with diesel, won't do any such thing, and costs a hell of a lot less per litre. My car is old and crahppy anyway so if it siezes up I don't reaqlly care - my girlfriend and I are gettign a Saab 93 Convertible soon so I only use it coz of the sound system I have in there :o)!!!!

What are the chances of me being pulled over and tested? I only drive it every now and again.....?

Comment

I mixed 20 litres of veg oil and £7 of diesel and the car works great.

It is a bit lumpy at start up but around 10 seconds on the idle up switch and it evens itself out.

The 'bio' diesel (reclaimed used veg oil, mixed with solvents) could, I suppose, corrode any rubber seals or sensitive areas on the fuel line.

Vegetable oil, mixed with diesel, won't do any such thing, and costs a hell of a lot less per litre. My car is old and crahppy anyway so if it siezes up I don't reaqlly care - my girlfriend and I are gettign a Saab 93 Convertible soon so I only use it coz of the sound system I have in there :o)!!!!

What are the chances of me being pulled over and tested? I only drive it every now and again.....?
                wait till the end of the month and it wont matter as you wont need to be registered and pay duty on it so just be carefull till then
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

That the one on Prescot Rd just up from the old Abbatoir then? He was at 79p a few months back.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Nah mate, Stone Street (off Great Howard Street).

I also saw a garage right on the dock road, near seaforth docks, and they had it on sale for £81.9 p p l. Not sure if it 'defo' had it in because it was a bit of a shack.

Comment

I too will be trying the biodiesel.

I have bought a couple of filers - one for after the first tank and and one for a little further down the line. I will be using enfuels in Thatcham, nr Newbury.

Which leads me to the question - how, and how easy is it to change the fuel filter?

Comment

Originally posted by johnyboyf
                        I too will be trying the biodiesel.

I have bought a couple of filers - one for after the first tank and and one for a little further down the line. I will be using enfuels in Thatcham, nr Newbury.

Which leads me to the question - how, and how easy is it to change the fuel filter?
                        easy to change.Sometimes you may have to unbolt the complete unit as the plastic drain at the bottom is tight as hell but total about 10 mins
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                          easy to change.Sometimes you may have to unbolt the complete unit as the plastic drain at the bottom is tight as hell but total about 10 mins
                          as I havent even looked at the thing yet will I need any moles or owt to not have diesel all over the engine bay?!? step by syep?

Comment

Originally posted by johnyboyf
                            as I havent even looked at the thing yet will I need any moles or owt to not have diesel all over the engine bay?!? step by syep?
                            try this

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/fuelfilter.htm

Mark

Comment

The leak, I believe, is caused by the viscosity of the Veg oil. I had exactly the same thing. When I reverted to straight Derv it disappeared.
                              I am acquiring an oil heater, the twin glow plug type, with thermostat to switch them off, when coolants up to temp to heat the oil. Hopefully, this will eradicate the leak as the oil will be thinned out. If not I'll lob in 5L of unleaded per tank, to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X