fuel pump/distributor sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump/distributor sensor

Hi, my in laws just had his K reg 2.4 surf on a diagnostic computer and has been told that a sensor in the fuel distributor or pump has gone. Apparently this sensor is linked to the ignition and also the turbo and when it comes on he is not getting the boost from the turbo that he should as the pump is not providing enough extra fuel. The turbo light does not come on after the first few minutes of running. Also he has been told that this sensor can only be bought as part of a new pump or distributor unit at a cost of £1900 without fitting. What I was wondering is, is it possible to replace this part ourselves if we can aquire it or are we being told a story. Has anybody else had this problem before? Please help

By the way the fault codes were an 11 and a 12 if thats of any help. Cheers

Comment

Hi, is the engine a 2LT (mechanical fuel pump) or a 2LTE (electronic fuel pump) it's important as if it's mechanical, the cost is about right ( actually cheaper than I've been quoted by Toyota) whereas if it's an electronic pump, you can get a new one from australia for less than £200.00.

Don't know anything about any sensor.

Edit; sorry didn't take notice of second post, fault codes would suggest a 2LTE in which case a new pump from aus. etc. etc.
      Last edited by plumb bob; 4 June 2007, 20:14.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Cheers plumbob, is it a straightforward job to fit or is it best left to a garage. Also do you have any info on this sensor the guy was talking about as apart from being a bit gutless it still starts and runs. It would be nice to think we could just replace that and the light would go out, if only. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by phil1234
          Hi, my in laws just had his K reg 2.4 surf on a diagnostic computer and has been told that a sensor in the fuel distributor or pump has gone. Apparently this sensor is linked to the ignition and also the turbo and when it comes on he is not getting the boost from the turbo that he should as the pump is not providing enough extra fuel. The turbo light does not come on after the first few minutes of running. Also he has been told that this sensor can only be bought as part of a new pump or distributor unit at a cost of £1900 without fitting. What I was wondering is, is it possible to replace this part ourselves if we can aquire it or are we being told a story. Has anybody else had this problem before? Please help
          hi just wondering if ya turbo light aint working and theres no guts have you checked for the small vac pipe that comes falls off the solonoid on the inner wing as this controls the turbo. when this pipe comes off no turbo and no light happened to me.
          I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
          (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy30
            hi just wondering if ya turbo light aint working and theres no guts have you checked for the small vac pipe that comes falls off the solonoid on the inner wing as this controls the turbo. when this pipe comes off no turbo and no light happened to me.
            Same here, after a head change, the mech got the vac tubes on wrong way round so although I could hear the turbo spool up (whistling sound) there was no boost and it was really gutless.

A quick swap round and it was 200% better, so worth a look.
            Rob

Comment

Cheers plumbob, is it a straightforward job to fit or is it best left to a garage. Also do you have any info on this sensor the guy was talking about as apart from being a bit gutless it still starts and runs. It would be nice to think we could just replace that and the light would go out, if only. Cheers
              Follow this link, and download the PDF on the 2LT repair manual, it has a detailed spec on the engine and fuel pump, and how to change it, although after reading it I kinda chickened out of removing mine.

See what you think.

http://outgoing.bauchan.org/toyota_surf_tech/
              Rob

Comment

Cheers guys, now you mention it there is a loose vacuum type pipe which does not seem to go anywhere. One end seems to go down under the front of the engine where it splits into two and the other end just seems to be hanging loose under the air filter box on the passenger side wing. We did look but could not find anywhere to connect it so it just got left.

Comment

Cheers guys, now you mention it there is a loose vacuum type pipe which does not seem to go anywhere. One end seems to go down under the front of the engine where it splits into two and the other end just seems to be hanging loose under the air filter box on the passenger side wing. We did look but could not find anywhere to connect it so it just got left.

Follow this link, it's easyer to see than to explain, if it doesn't work, post back.
                  http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/turbovacuum.htm

Rob

Comment

could be the breather for the aircon fans, but it does sound like you got a possible vacuum problem so best to make sure
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Ignore code 11. Clear the codes and retest but make sure vehicle is in park or neutral with air con switched off. Code 11 will appear if this is not done. The hose you say splits in two will probably be for the air con condenser fans. It's just a vent hose so do not plug the end or connect to anything.

Code 12 is Timer Control Valve. It could be faulty or simply another fault causing the code to appear. Check the timing. TCV fault can appear if pump timing is out a tooth or two. Timing belt may be due for replacement and could have jumped a tooth or two on the pump.

Nev

Comment

cheers nifty nev, we did clear the codes there was also an 8 in there before but that went when we disconnected the battery. Would the pump timing affect the turbo or not and is it an easy job to check it. Sorry to be a pain but we have no manuals. Cheers

Comment

Pump timing has nothing to do with the turbo. The turbo is purely mechanical operation. Turbo boost is measured by the Turbo Pressure Sensor which in conjunction with the ECU controls engine fuel requirements through the fuel pump. If you put a boost gauge on the engine you will probable find the turbo works fine. It's when the engine is not getting enough fuel along with boost that problems occur. This can be caused by a number of things such as a hose to boost sensor disconnected, incorrect timing (which can result in the Timer Control Valve fault) or a faulty timer control valve or even simple things such a dodgy wiring or loose plug on the pump. Check all the above before going to the expense of replacing pump or TCV. Checking timing requires removal of the timing belt cover. This has been covered many times here and on the Aussie site. If the timing belt has not been done recently or you have no idea when it was done then consider doing it ASAP.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                          X