Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty putting into gear

Hi Guys,
    I have a 2.4 diesel manual surf . I am difficulty in getting it into gear. Used to be ok but its getting harder to get into gears. Can anyone shed any light.

Thanks

Originally posted by ickyxxx
    Hi Guys,
    I have a 2.4 diesel manual surf . I am difficulty in getting it into gear. Used to be ok but its getting harder to get into gears. Can anyone shed any light.

Thanks
    Is it all the time, when it's hot, cold???

Does your clutch smell all hot and burnt out?
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Could just be the nylon bush at bottom of gear lever under the plate on top of box that is the problem.

Nev

Comment

There are many different things can cause this, check the bush as mentioned by Nev, also check the oil level in the gearbox. Low oil levels can often cause stiff gear changes, particularly if you notice you can change gears easier when stationary then when on then move.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Unfortunately its stiff all the time whether hot or cold.
          Without sounding too thick where do you check for oil in the gearbox?

Comment

First port of call would be the nylon bush at the bottom of the gear stick, my Surf got so bad I could'nt get it into 3rd I just had to short shift through to 4th. On stripping the gearstick housing the nylon bush had totally worn away. I replaced the green bush and also the small white bush at the very bottom of the stick and Hey presto gear changing is now slicker than a slick thing, so smooth its unreal. You can buy the bushes from any Toyota dealer I think I paid less than £10 for the pair. With regards to the gearbox oil level, looking underneath from the passenger side you'll notice a large hex head bolt about half way up the gearbox housing this is the filler and oil level hole, this is the only way of checking the oil level.

Comment

Check the fluid level . If fluid is low air maybe in the system . If level is OK then check the colour of the fluid , if its black the seals may be worn and letting the fluid bypass the seals . If that is the case new master and slave should be fitted .Have a look inside the vehicle by the clutch pedal rod to see if its wet with fluid there as that may be a sign of worn seals bypassing .
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
              X