2.4 T/d Surf Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SkydiverBC
    I'm only getting about 16-17 mpg, and it has far less power than I would have expected. 10% grade and I have to slow to about 85 before the speed holds in third gear. Any ideas?
    What vehicle/engine do you have?

If it's the 3.0 V6 then thats about right.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

I have the 2.4 l turbo injected. Am I burning too much fuel? Is the turbo not performing?

Comment

Is your turbo boost light coming on? the green one on the left on the rev counter.

If not then check the vacuum pipes are all connected correctly,

See here;

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/turbovacuum.htm

also run some "redex" through the fuel system, and it may be worth getting the injectors reconditioned.
        Rob

Comment

I'm only getting about 16-17 mpg, and it has far less power than I would have expected. 10% grade and I have to slow to about 85 before the speed holds in third gear. Any ideas?
          Silly question time !!

As you are on the other side of the pond which Gallon are you referring to ?

Imperial or US ?
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I am referring to a 3.8L gallon. Yes, the Turbo light comes on. I have run two tanks of diesel fuel additive that is supposed to clean and condition parts. There is little smoke when it has warmed up, and it only shows when I am accelerating hard. I just thought it would have a little more power than it does. I thought maybe the turbo was not performing properly, but that does not seem to be a common problem.

Comment

It does sound as if it's performing normally for a 2.4td, it's a heavy truck, and the 2.4 is a little under powered for the weight.
              Do you know of anybody else in your area that you could meet up with and compare performance?
              Rob

Comment

i bet one of your turbo boost pipes have blown off or split, making the compressed air vent somewhere,
                when i first got mine, it was dog slow, found out a pipe was half off, put it back on and its like a rocket
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                  Had mine out on the motorway today, and although in every other respect it seems to perform ok, it would only get to 75 on the flat, and 85 down hill.
                  Don't know if it should go faster.
                  And I get between 18 -22 mpg depending on whether my fuel pump is leaking at the time.
                  ive just got back from a weekend in leeds about 50 mins ago, i live in london. now on the straights i would get 90mph but thats almost flat to the floor, down hill i will get just over 90 but the revs approaching 4000 so im not doing any more than that. up hills the speed drops no matter what i do, if i keep my foot down it will drop to about 78.. well just below 80.
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

economy?

Gazbo: waht size is your tank. I would have to stop twice to fill up on a trip as long as that...or perhaps yours runs on cost coffee!!

Comment

economy?

Gazbo: waht size is your tank. I would have to stop twice to fill up on a trip as long as that...or perhaps yours runs on costa coffee!!

Comment

On a recent 900km trip i got 26mpg from my 2.4td ( with 50% svo)
                        She will happily sit at about 85mph on the motorway, any faster and i'd need to buy a supra or something!
                        www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

i was getting margins over 550km per tank, running 40 litres veg, and the rest topped up with derv
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i have a 2.4 and its nippy for what it is
                            flat out had just under 100mph and it feels scarey
                            my mates 3.0 did the same just a bit faster on the take off
                            i dont get much to the litre tho
                            from rotherham to london and back did take 2 tanks of diesel
                            at a steady 60 mph
                            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK
                              from rotherham to london and back did take 2 tanks of diesel
                              at a steady 60 mph
                              jesus! its cos you was driving a brick at 100mph!
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
                                jesus! its cos you was driving a brick at 100mph!
                                yep at that speed its fully open drinks more than oliver reed (well may be not that much)
                                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Working...
                                X