nasty driveline vibes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nasty driveline vibes

ok fellas it's like this: from 10kph to 25kph bad judder, clears till about 55kph to 65kph when a really nasty vibration starts. so bad that anything in the footwells rattle about and I can't see out the wing mirrors. it clears after that, but to be honest I'm not to happy going faster than that at the moment. Other clues when I dip the clutch the vibration stops and the change is quite clunky (although it always had been in my ownership -last 15k km) It does have a hidious rattle from the box when Ideling in neutral that goes when you depress the clutch but its been like that since I got it. It has 135k kms on it and had a new clutch at 100k kms and a new slave and master clutch cyinder at 125k km. Any ideas on whats wrong and how to fix it..oh aye fitted 275/75/16s and a 2 inch body lift about a month ago but cant see how that would affect things. over to you surfmasters
    cheers
    dinna say eh?....say fit?

Originally posted by leo's dad
    ok fellas it's like this: from 10kph to 25kph bad judder, clears till about 55kph to 65kph when a really nasty vibration starts. so bad that anything in the footwells rattle about and I can't see out the wing mirrors. it clears after that, but to be honest I'm not to happy going faster than that at the moment. Other clues when I dip the clutch the vibration stops and the change is quite clunky (although it always had been in my ownership -last 15k km) It does have a hidious rattle from the box when Ideling in neutral that goes when you depress the clutch but its been like that since I got it. It has 135k kms on it and had a new clutch at 100k kms and a new slave and master clutch cyinder at 125k km. Any ideas on whats wrong and how to fix it..oh aye fitted 275/75/16s and a 2 inch body lift about a month ago but cant see how that would affect things. over to you surfmasters
    cheers
    Checked the uj's on the prop shaft ?
    Last edited by Woodzie; 30 May 2007, 09:09.
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

have to say I haven't yet as its been tipping down with rain since the vibes started and the shed's full of dead/inappropriate cars already..oh and theres the small draw back of now it's lifted and got big wheels it wont go under the shed door. as soon as it stops raining I'll have a go. I had ujs go on my old 4runner and landy and sadly this doesn't feel the same...hope it is ujs but I have a sinking feeling it might be flywheel/clutch... oh my aching back (and wallet!)

Comment

I guess your not picking up good vibration then eh?

iam dont think my idea will be help full but, is it possible that one or more wheels are off balance?

Comment

Originally posted by Terran-Ender
          I guess your not picking up good vibration then eh?

iam dont think my idea will be help full but, is it possible that one or more wheels are off balance?
          if this were the case then pressing the clutch whilst the vibration is happening at speed wouldnt cure it.
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

cheers for the suggestions so far...please keep 'em coming

Comment

does it do it in 4wd as well

Comment

must go and check if it judders in 4wd back in 20 mins!!!

Comment

must go and check if it judders in 4wd back in 20 mins!!!

Only in a straight line or on a loose surface though!

Comment

nah, judders in 2wd and 4wd...any other suggestions

Comment

I reckon it's the clutch.
                      Do you know what type of flywheel was fitted, dual-mass or standard?

Comment

not a clue mate! any way of telling which flywheel was fitted with out splitting box/engine? It did have a new clutch 35k km ago but that was about 3 yrs ago as the old boy who had it before me only used it at weekends to go shooting. ive done 15k km in the last 8 months. clutch doesn't appear to slip ......yet and I cant smell that hot clutch smell although the rain has put me of prolonged scratching and sniffing
                        If it is the clutch/flywheel what other symptoms am i looking/listening for and what should i replace while the box is out. (i take it I drop the box out underneath)

Comment

I had this kind of problem after a new clutch in a non-surf and it turned out to be thrust bearings....
                          Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

not a clue mate! any way of telling which flywheel was fitted with out splitting box/engine? It did have a new clutch 35k km ago but that was about 3 yrs ago as the old boy who had it before me only used it at weekends to go shooting. ive done 15k km in the last 8 months. clutch doesn't appear to slip ......yet and I cant smell that hot clutch smell although the rain has put me of prolonged scratching and sniffing
                            If it is the clutch/flywheel what other symptoms am i looking/listening for and what should i replace while the box is out. (i take it I drop the box out underneath)

Just had another thought, check the bolts are tight around the bell housing.

Comment

hope the rain stops soon and I i'll check the ujs, bolts etc, i'm getting too old to lie in the dirt under motors in the rain...

Comment

Working...
                              X