Hi-Lo Transfer grind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-Lo Transfer grind

I shifted from Hi to Lo range before I'd stopped moving a while back, and there was a bit of a grind - now, it grinds whenever I try to change the ratio and I've noticed that when driving and the transmission gets to the top of the gear, I can hear (and feel) the transfer starting to make noise again...any ideas?

Also - I spoke to Stevo the other day re my engine sounding like a Fiesta, and he thinks it might be cyl 4 on it's way out - I would like these too issues fixed asap so I can go out and get all dirty again...so any help will be gratefully appreciated.
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Originally posted by MudSurfer
    I shifted from Hi to Lo range before I'd stopped moving a while back, and there was a bit of a grind - now, it grinds whenever I try to change the ratio and I've noticed that when driving and the transmission gets to the top of the gear, I can hear (and feel) the transfer starting to make noise again...any ideas?
    my transfer box used to make a noise. we now think the 4wd had not dis-engaged propperly once. it started after i used to play with the button at traffic lights. eg pushing it, seeing the light come on and hearing all stuff click underneath. then turning it back off again before i drive.
    i cured this by turning it on, moving forward a litte and then turning it off and letting it dis-engage. since ive stopped playing its been good. no noise.
    when you shift the hi-lo does it grind bad? does it do it if you leave it in neutral a bit, or if you go right from hi to lo without stopping?
    you say transmision gets to top of the gear.. do you mean overdrive or do you mean high revs?

i wont be able to help i dont think, but just wanted to post so i can watch the thread
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

You shouldn't be changing from hi to low when the vehicle is moving. Bring to a complete stop, engage neutral on transmission and then you can move hi/lo lever with no grinding. You will feel a clunk as it engages and thats it, off you go. Hope you haven't broke anything
      ps. as regards the transfer noise at hi revs, make sure you have fully selected hi.
      http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

UPDATE:

It's the first time I've been near the truck for about 10 days, and tried the Hi/Lo to see if it was any better.....

When I try to shift to Hi - I get a very low grinding noise and it won't go in, will not engage Hi at all, then when I move back to Lo I get a higher pitch, louder grinding noise when the lever is moved back, but it does engage.

I haven't looked underneath yet, or at the vacuum hoses, but would my doing 400 miles in FWD with the rear prop removed have anything to do with this???

HELP!!!!!!!

Comment

Is it to do with your body lift?

Maybe the lever isn't engaged fully and is rubbing on the opening in the transmission tunnel.

BTW, don't move the transfer lever unless in neutral or park.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Is it to do with your body lift?

Maybe the lever isn't engaged fully and is rubbing on the opening in the transmission tunnel.

BTW, don't move the transfer lever unless in neutral or park.

Bl00dy H3ll.....it could be! - If it is how am I going to remedy that??

PS - Never try moving it unless I'm in neutral.....

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
              Bl00dy H3ll.....it could be! - If it is how am I going to remedy that??

PS - Never try moving it unless I'm in neutral.....

You'll need to whip the centre consol out and have a look to see if the lever is touching the edge of the hole. If it is, just file a bit of the hole away 'till the lever doesn't touch when pulled back.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                You'll need to whip the centre consol out and have a look to see if the lever is touching the edge of the hole. If it is, just file a bit of the hole away 'till the lever doesn't touch when pulled back.
                That's me fixed for the weekend - would that also explain the grind going back into Lo??

Comment

Working...
                X