valve clearances 2.4td '92.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve clearances 2.4td '92.

anyone know the valve clearances for a 2.4 td 92 smurf for inlet and exhaust
    ill carry on searching but might have to go 'out of office'..
    cheers
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

tappet clearance inlet valve:-10 thou/0.25mm
    exhaust valve:-18 thou/0.40mm

think this is them
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
      tappet clearance inlet valve:-10 thou/0.25mm
      exhaust valve:-18 thou/0.40mm

think this is them

I don't know if you realise, but it's not as easy as just removing the rocker cover, loosening a nut and adjusting the valve clearances, you'll need a special tool to remove the shims to measure the clearances, make a note of the measurements, put it all back together (unless you have another car to use) and go and buy some shims.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        I don't know if you realise, but it's not as easy as just removing the rocker cover, loosening a nut and adjusting the valve clearances, you'll need a special tool to remove the shims to measure the clearances, make a note of the measurements, put it all back together (unless you have another car to use) and go and buy some shims.
        yes thats ok, i was going to still get the feeler gauge and see what they were. dont know if you know but im getting this annoying tapping sound. everyone i speak to says its something else. i think its to do with valves personally but my job is IT. ive never done mechanics. which means im especially open to other people that know.
        i took the cover off to find out what you have described. ive never seen anything like that. im used to OHV engines or cam/rockers. this is just weird but i can see the design would be very strong, and you would loose the least amount of power through direct cam to valve. (well not direct but you know what i mean-ish)
        this is what i found:
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

although 1 or 2 are marked, the pic from the side shows they are completely flat still on the lobe itself
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

What type of engine oil are you using?

Mineral.
            Semi-synthetic.
            Fully synthetic.

Comment

semi synth, castrol magnatec. ive had the car since 9th of feb and done two oil changes.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

this noise that im having comes and goes. and it fades in and out. i used to think it was when it was warm it was worse but its not the case. every time it clears above 2000rpm and its usually worse about 1200 rpm. tickover is quiet but sometimes its there.. very queer lol
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                  this noise that im having comes and goes. and it fades in and out. i used to think it was when it was warm it was worse but its not the case. every time it clears above 2000rpm and its usually worse about 1200 rpm. tickover is quiet but sometimes its there.. very queer lol

Is it just the diesel knock ?
                  -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
                    Is it just the diesel knock ?
                    ive researched that and apparently diesel knock is pre-ignition yes? like pinking on petrol engines?
                    it could be i suppose. there is a lot of reddex in the tank. im going to run it low on derv then put loads of normal stuff in and see what happens
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                    X