2.4 Running hot, hot, hot!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 Running hot, hot, hot!!

Hi all, I'm running a '92 2.4SSR-X with a 2LTE engine. Have recently gone through the usual cylinder head trauma (new head, bolts and quality gasket), HOWEVER it seems to be running hotter than it should do. The gauge goes up to just below the middle quite quickly, the (new) stat seems to be opening, the viscous fan is good and the heater works. The thing smells hot, after a ten minute drive the engine, especially the turbo is still hot for an hour or so!!!! It still starts and drives spot on, doesn't use any water etc.
    Is there a bleed plug anywhere that I have missed????

Thanks in anticipation!!!

Dave.

Just below middle i think is normal, mine doesn't take long to get there either.

If you're still worried do a search for burping the cooling system, basically it's a case of running it with front and back heaters on full blast and topping up coolant as required. Also something i've seen suggested a couple of times recently is to leave the rad cap off over night to let the air work it's way out then top up in the morning
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Thanks for that Nero, I'll try the overnight cap idea.

I forgot to mention, the rear heater doesn't blow hot, I thought it was an electric one, is it a water one then?? This could be where my problem lies, blockage somewhere perhaps????

Comment

Originally posted by dinnertimedave
        Thanks for that Nero, I'll try the overnight cap idea.

I forgot to mention, the rear heater doesn't blow hot, I thought it was an electric one, is it a water one then?? This could be where my problem lies, blockage somewhere perhaps????

The rear heater works directly off the cooling system i.e. it bypasses the thermostat. You've probably got a blockage in the pipes.

see here.....http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ht=brake+cable

Comment

Originally posted by dinnertimedave
          The coolant lines branch off to the rear matrix from the U-bends on the coolant lines down on the nearside of the engine, below the 'stat housing. If there's no heat from the rear matrix, it may be one of three things. Blocked, airlock or someone has bypassed it in the past due to leaks.

Comment

I got a stick on thermometer on mine there really good because you will get an accurate indication of just how hot it's getting.

Stevo put it on when he did the head on mine.

Cheers JB
            www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Working...
            X