X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine tapping :-(

Hi there,
    Sorry this is so long!
    I'm new to hilux and have not long purchaced a 2.4 k reg surf, first thing i did was an oil change, flushed the engine twice, new filter etc, here's where the fun begins!
    I poured what i thought was a reasonable amount of oil in as a start, let it sit then checked the dipstick...the orange one!...oops, which of course being the wrong one read that there was plenty of oil! i then let it idle for about 15 mins and it was fine then off i went 2 miles drive down the road home, when i got back i realised id got this dreadfull tapping coming from the engine, on furthur inspection i realised what i'd done and the oil was bearly touching the bottom of the dipstick, so i filled it right up which seemed to quieten the tapping quite a bit but didn't get rid of it, it increases as i accelerate :-(
    I have also now learned that the parts place by me is rubbish having reccommended me Valvoline 15w-40 turbo diesel oil when i'm told i actually need 10w-30
    Can anybody help me as this tapping is not only driving me crazy but i'm scared that i'll do more damage driving it as it is.
    The local garage said i need to take the rocker cover off and check whats happening but i don't really fancy attempting it myself and wouldn't know what i was looking at anyway.
    WHAT HAVE I DONE? & WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW???
    I don't suffer from stress, I'm just a carrier!!

I always use 15W40 semi-synthetic.
    I've had no oil showing on the dipstick before without any noises, are you sure it isn't something else tapping?

Welcome by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by MR.T
      Hi there,
      Sorry this is so long!
      I'm new to hilux and have not long purchaced a 2.4 k reg surf, first thing i did was an oil change, flushed the engine twice, new filter etc, here's where the fun begins!
      I poured what i thought was a reasonable amount of oil in as a start, let it sit then checked the dipstick...the orange one!...oops, which of course being the wrong one read that there was plenty of oil! i then let it idle for about 15 mins and it was fine then off i went 2 miles drive down the road home, when i got back i realised id got this dreadfull tapping coming from the engine, on furthur inspection i realised what i'd done and the oil was bearly touching the bottom of the dipstick, so i filled it right up which seemed to quieten the tapping quite a bit but didn't get rid of it, it increases as i accelerate :-(
      I have also now learned that the parts place by me is rubbish having reccommended me Valvoline 15w-40 turbo diesel oil when i'm told i actually need 10w-30
      Can anybody help me as this tapping is not only driving me crazy but i'm scared that i'll do more damage driving it as it is.
      The local garage said i need to take the rocker cover off and check whats happening but i don't really fancy attempting it myself and wouldn't know what i was looking at anyway.
      WHAT HAVE I DONE? & WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW???
      Noisy shims ?.....did it tap before the change
      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

did'nt tap before the change and it could be anything, i literally have no idea what it is, garage says its definately top end tho?

Comment

did'nt tap before the change and it could be anything, i literally have no idea what it is, garage says its definately top end tho?

What did you flush the engine with?

Comment

Just wynn's engine flush.

Comment

The thing is, a lot of these engines make tappety type noises, more so when cold. How bad, in a quantifiable manner, is this tapping? Does it vary with rpm? Does it quieten once warming up?

Comment

Quite loud, very audible from in the cab when driving, not so noticable when idle but still there, gets worse when reved, worst when accelerating between 0-40mph. at 1st guess i'd have said tappets but would that be a likely result of running with very low oil???

Comment

Quite loud, very audible from in the cab when driving, not so noticable when idle but still there, gets worse when reved, worst when accelerating between 0-40mph. at 1st guess i'd have said tappets but would that be a likely result of running with very low oil???
                  yes.

didn't you have a guess that you should put in around about the same amount as you took out??
                  (or known what you were doing before you started??)
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I'm not a great lover of engine flush, as traces left behind in engine after a flush can thin new oil. If i had to use flush i would refill with cheap oil and drain again to remove all traces of the flush. As for the 15w40ss, thats what i use also with no consequence. No idea about the tapping but hope you get it sorted soon.
                    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Yes mr slug man it did occur to me however never having had a vehicle with 2 dipsticks and instructions in japanese, i made a mistake, a stupid one perhaps but regardless i don't really see any need for "smart" comments, i was simply asking for help not judgement!

Comment

It has been said (on other forums) regarding engine flushing oils, that they can dislodge sludge, which then travels into the minute oil ways in the head etc.and can cause blockages.

If I were you I would flush it out again using a cheap, thin oil and try refilling with ( I think) 7 litres of a good quality oil of the correct grade.

Keep us informed.
                        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Yes mr slug man it did occur to me however never having had a vehicle with 2 dipsticks and instructions in japanese, i made a mistake, a stupid one perhaps but regardless i don't really see any need for "smart" comments, i was simply asking for help not judgement!

You got told mr slugman!!!!!!!!
                          http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

15-40 is fine, unless its -10 or colder, then you need 10-30.

Don't worry about Sluggy, he just sore he has to drive a normal car now.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                            X