Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked head - advice on replacement

Hi,

Had the overheating, spewing out water from expansion tank scenario. Rad cap, and water pump replaced, ran OK for a bit, then overheated again.

A mechanic friend has taken the head off and it appears to have cracks around the valve seats. He is going to get it pressure tested but says it looks bad news.

Assuming that it is beyond help, I am looking at a new head.

We will probably not be keeping the Surf for much longer (ironically need something cheaper to run I'm afraid!). There are heads on eBay for around the £250 mark - what is people's opinion on these?

Alternatively, what do people think of the Milner's heads?

Any views appreciated.

If you want a proper head see STEVO. As some places are still selling the original non modified head which will go again in time.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Scrimshaw
      Hi,

Had the overheating, spewing out water from expansion tank scenario. Rad cap, and water pump replaced, ran OK for a bit, then overheated again.

A mechanic friend has taken the head off and it appears to have cracks around the valve seats. He is going to get it pressure tested but says it looks bad news.

Assuming that it is beyond help, I am looking at a new head.

We will probably not be keeping the Surf for much longer (ironically need something cheaper to run I'm afraid!). There are heads on eBay for around the £250 mark - what is people's opinion on these?

Alternatively, what do people think of the Milner's heads?

Any views appreciated.
      For that price i think you'll get exactly what you pay for, as Mark says try stevo he did mine about six months ago and now its sweeter than a sweet thing that just won first place in a sweet thing competition.
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/members_p...evo/index.html
      http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

I got one of the uprated heads from ebay, before i found this website mind you. Everything went smoothly. Head was delivered quickly & touch wood ok so far.
        However it can be a hassle if anything goes wrong. Always a risk with ebay. Most people are good but you just ever know.
        In future i think i will be sticking with the recommendations from here. All tried & tested IMO.
        Which Wychwood would you choose?

Comment

The head has been pressure tested and has two porus cracks and lots of other cracks.

My friend has been told that a bare head will need shimming once the valves, tappets etc have been transferred over, as engine does not have hydraulic tappets . He does not have the selection of shims and has suggested that I get a fully built-up head.

Is this correct? If so, how much of a job is this? (if so, most of the eBay sellers advertising bare heads are carefully omitting this by suggesting that everything is transferred over as-is!)

There is an outfit advertising on ebay for fully built-up heads http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=012
          These people seem to have cottoned on to the fact that there are poor quality heads being sold and say that they don't sell rubbish. As they are within a reasonable distance I shall probably go to them (always useful to be able to visit them if there is a problem in the future).
          They also reckon that they can repair cylinder heads - what do people think about this (i.e. would it actually work?/will it just crack again due to the design flaw?)

I know that you all speak well of Stevo and if I had the cash I'd probably just go to him, but I'm skint so need to need to keep it to a minimum

Comment

A repaired one will not give any peace of mind and is certain to go in the same place again. Why risk it? If you are taking it off, fix it properly.

Comment

I wouldn't go anywhere near a repaired Surf head.

I always buy built heads, the extra cost is not much different from me adding labour for cleaning/installing/lapping valves, checking cam, setting valve lash, all the shims you need @ £5 a go, etc.... (assuming its done properly, not just thrown together)

Plus its done and don't have to worry about it.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                I wouldn't go anywhere near a repaired Surf head.

Me Too
                one had been fitted to mine, I didn't know...til it went!!!
                do the job proper
                Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                Tony

Comment

I bought my head from Milliner. Don't know if it was the upgraded type, as side by side the coolant holes were the same. But I thought sod it. Mine was on 90,000 miles when the head went, so I should at least get another 90 outta this. I bought bare head and the hubby ground in my old valves(sounds painful). Just make sure you get new tension bolts and honk em down in the proper sequence. Milliner gave all the info and torque settings. Touch wood its ok. Only trouble I had had since was gearbox, but sorted now. So at last I can enjoy it(when I can afford to put diesel in lol). Thirsty work

Comment

i was slightly lucky with the head etc i got off e bay,the head itself was fine,i got it checked over and rebuilt (valves ,camshaft,shims etc) by my local engine rebuilding company. the one thing i gambled with which totally shot me in the foot ,arse and head was the gasket and bolt set i got with the head(again off e bay) after countless hours of absolute insania i took the head off to find the new gasket blowing across 2/3 cylinders.now after the 3rd set of headbolts and a genuine toyota gasket from roughtrax,theres light at the end of the tunnel.yes maybe the other gaskets (exhaust inlet rocker cover etc)where good,but for the sake of saving myself about £40 id rather stick a wasps nest up my behind than go through that again!!! dont risk skimping on it ... i found out the hard way wont be doing that again
                    DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Working...
                    X