I have to ask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to ask

I'm a newbie to the site and I have had my fantastic Blue Metalic SSRX 2.4 since last September and I love it to bits, only thing is I use it as a daily driver and I want to know if there are any mods or regular maintenance points that might assist me in getting better economy out of my truck, I was told to tie a zip tie around a pipe under the bonet to save on wasted diesel but I didn't trust the guy as he hadn't done it himself. I regularly use RedX for diesel engines , about once a month and the I change oil regularly, it's just had a new belt, filters and I generally have no complaints, but is there anything I can do to get more miles, curently does about 450km on a full tank, is this good bad or ok?

Also has anyone out there done an LPG conversion on a surf, if so I would be interested in picking your brains

Andy C

Site Rocks, hats off

get the egr mod on and you can also increase your turbo boost back up to standard (it will have decreased with age). the best mod you can get is MUD!!
    http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cheapboost.htm
    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Grr can't get my maths head on today!!

Just deleted one post as maths shocking!

Dave

Comment

There are plenty of mods you can do to the Surf. Won't do bugger all for fuel economy though. Fuel economy will always be shockingly depressing, so just take it like a man.

Comment

long time no post

Thanks for the replies but since that first post I have discovered veg oil, it definitey pongs a bit (think burnt chips, anyone who says donutfactory is lying!) great as I have a chip shop next door to me who use loads of the stuff, I've made a filter system and now running 50/50 derv / veg mix. Runs great, slight loss of power, still there really but you have to be a bit heavier with your foot but anyway it it's a lot cheaper to fill it up now, just been to Bath and back with a bit of driving about whilst there and we made it back to Northampton on the same tank (Just) round trip of just under 600km, a personal record, definitely a lot better than before, no ill effects and no strife from C&E truck and me getting on famously, even the missus is starting to like the truck now it's a bit leaner on the wallet.

Has anyone else experienced increases in fuel economy after converting to veg? It's bizarre but as rule I get about 100-150 more km to a tank now I'm mixing it up.

I'd reccomend the veg oil route for anyone wanting to save some cash, my wisdom so far:

start with little and buld up and just do it on half a tank, that way you can recue your tank by ust ptting re dieel in.Outdoor temperature, type of veg oil and even type of diesel all seem to be factors, I took mine up to 80% veg oil and it wasn't so great, much better on 50/50 or therabouts, slightly higher in summer lower in winter, job done, saves me something like £40 a week

I have had best results with pure rapeseed oil, value cooking oil from GM crops is cheap but it stinks more, makes engine a little lumpy in the mornings and the large drums are awkward to decant into a watering can without spilling the stuff all over the placebe careful wih spills as the oil eats rubber (seals tyres etc...) and yo can slip in itif you're not careful

Been doing this for about 2 months now and all going fine so far

Also went out last week of roading for the first time, made it accross a few boggy byways and got well and truely covered in mud but didn't get stuck once (my car has Bridgestone dueler HT tyres on it, not really mud bioggers but surprisingly effective, my boss has a suped up landy 90 with a massive lift and hooj tyres, spent ner £40k on the thing, and he was guted that my
          £2k factory standard, non lifted surf could keep up, with him, priceless!

AC

Excus typo's my keyboard is f~@ked

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
            get the egr mod on and you can also increase your turbo boost back up to standard (it will have decreased with age). the best mod you can get is MUD!!
            http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cheapboost.htm
            red and understood this mod,but i would like to ask any of the other members if they would recommend it ? it wont do serious damage to my lux if i attempt it...i would cry if i were to blow her up or something !!

Comment

Originally posted by andycohen
              I'm a newbie to the site and I have had my fantastic Blue Metalic SSRX 2.4 since last September and I love it to bits, only thing is I use it as a daily driver and I want to know if there are any mods or regular maintenance points that might assist me in getting better economy out of my truck, I was told to tie a zip tie around a pipe under the bonet to save on wasted diesel but I didn't trust the guy as he hadn't done it himself. I regularly use RedX for diesel engines , about once a month and the I change oil regularly, it's just had a new belt, filters and I generally have no complaints, but is there anything I can do to get more miles, curently does about 450km on a full tank, is this good bad or ok?

Also has anyone out there done an LPG conversion on a surf, if so I would be interested in picking your brains

Andy C

Site Rocks, hats off
              andy ??? mate im sure i know you.. didnt you have that lambo coloured polo? and then that TVR? cruise-south??
              Last edited by dieselboy; 10 July 2007, 11:35.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Loads of people have done the EGR and the Actuator. Mine has been done for over a year, with no ill effect.

Go for it.

Comment

Working...
                X