strange dashboard light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange dashboard light

Hi, i've recently taken ownership of a 2nd hand J reg hilux pickup (2.4L Diesel).

there are a couple of what look like "additions" to the dashboard, its a right hand drive, and 2 toggle switches on the right of the steering wheel appear to do nothing - haven't investigated fully yet but I suspect they are to do with 2 spotlights on the front grill, which I cant turn on (probably disconnected).

anyway, thats not really an issue, what IS is a red light that seems to be permanently on. It is situated directly beneath the hazard lights switch on the LHS of steering wheel, in the dashboard. I cannot work out what it is, it stays on constantly. Doesn't seem to be the alternator, as it starts pretty reliably even after a few days standing without running. Not handbrake either, or headlight reminder, or radio...or engine oil or coolant level (both are topped up).

Any ideas? The red light also looks like it might be a "home made" replacement.

ali

Originally posted by zijstock
    Hi, i've recently taken ownership of a 2nd hand J reg hilux pickup (2.4L Diesel).

there are a couple of what look like "additions" to the dashboard, its a right hand drive, and 2 toggle switches on the right of the steering wheel appear to do nothing - haven't investigated fully yet but I suspect they are to do with 2 spotlights on the front grill, which I cant turn on (probably disconnected).

anyway, thats not really an issue, what IS is a red light that seems to be permanently on. It is situated directly beneath the hazard lights switch on the LHS of steering wheel, in the dashboard. I cannot work out what it is, it stays on constantly. Doesn't seem to be the alternator, as it starts pretty reliably even after a few days standing without running. Not handbrake either, or headlight reminder, or radio...or engine oil or coolant level (both are topped up).

Any ideas? The red light also looks like it might be a "home made" replacement.

ali
    Rear foglight, or may be a switch to activate the glowplugs independently of the ignition.

Comment

is it on a switch or just purely a light also are there any markings on or near it? any pics?
      www.merkinchlnr.org.uk

Comment

toggle switch

I have a toggle switch on my recently bought hilux too, located near my right knee. It activates the running lights but does not turn them on unless the truck is running. Also has a loose wire that needs a nudge now and then.
        Hope this helps.
        1 fish 2 fish red fish blue hilux
        Go Dogs Go

Comment

The red light *may* be one of those fake alarm indicator jobs. See where the wires lead.

Comment

the red light has no markings on it save for a label "cliffords" that runs around the base of the light, and I think this is just the brand name of the light. Looks suspiciously like a previous owner installed it, i.e. doesn't look like a toyota job. It is certainly in the position that the manual suggests is for rear fog lights but they are not on. I'll try and get a pic of it.

MattF - I think it may be a "fake" alarm indicator thing too; certainly there seems to be no deterioration in vehicle performance or starting, I haven't yet had a chance to properly check the wiring of the light, but I will. The hilux got me from Aberdeen to Edinburgh and back easily last weekend, although I didn't push it (stayed around 55-60mph), and the light was on before during and after the journey back.

thanks for the tips

Comment

Originally posted by zijstock
              the red light has no markings on it save for a label "cliffords" that runs around the base of the light, and I think this is just the brand name of the light. Looks suspiciously like a previous owner installed it, i.e. doesn't look like a toyota job. It is certainly in the position that the manual suggests is for rear fog lights but they are not on. I'll try and get a pic of it.

MattF - I think it may be a "fake" alarm indicator thing too; certainly there seems to be no deterioration in vehicle performance or starting, I haven't yet had a chance to properly check the wiring of the light, but I will. The hilux got me from Aberdeen to Edinburgh and back easily last weekend, although I didn't push it (stayed around 55-60mph), and the light was on before during and after the journey back.

thanks for the tips

I can always come round and have a look if your wanting?
              There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

Hi Onlynik,
                if its no trouble then that would be great, i stay right in the middle of aberdeen, 26 King street (just down from Castle terrace and union street).

number: 07764759724 or 01224634122

cheers, ali

Comment

clifford is an alarm firm, so i guess cliffords would be a rip off led, pound to a penny its a fake alarm LED. warning lights are directly on the dash mate
                  TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Ali,

It'll probably be next weekend before I can get to you. I'm going away offshore on tomorrow, but should be back by Friday. I'll give you a shout then.

Nik
                    There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

Nik
                      I'm away to Norway and offshore myself for a week on this Friday; I have done a wee bit of searching in the bonnet and identified a "clifford" alarm - fairly certain now that this is what the light is.....as someone else on the forum said it's a "false alarm" alarm light....the pickup is showing no signs of not wanting to start or battery not charging, so I am happy it's not a big problem. When I get back from Norway I have to take it up to Orkney anyway, it's my parents pickup you see.

cheers anyway, Ali

Comment

Working...
                      X