break fluid dissapearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• break fluid dissapearing

Hi all, It seems that whilst my hilux does not take any (or very little) engine oil, I had to top up the brake fluid twice within the last 10 days...and notice that the brake pedal makes a 'rubbing' noice (ie metal rubbing) when pressed...

Anyone come across this before...could it be the master cylidner or a leak and any idea of how hard to fix?

Thanks and regards,

Tomme

Originally posted by tomme surf
    Hi all, It seems that whilst my hilux does not take any (or very little) engine oil, I had to top up the brake fluid twice within the last 10 days...and notice that the brake pedal makes a 'rubbing' noice (ie metal rubbing) when pressed...

Anyone come across this before...could it be the master cylidner or a leak and any idea of how hard to fix?

Thanks and regards,

Tomme

Pads!

Comment

so change front pads....for rear its the drum shoes right? Incidently I put in about 250ml of brake fluid each time (ie 250ml 10 days ago and today again about thesame)...so do pads suck up so much fluid if faulty?

thanks and regards,
      tomme

Comment

250ml is a lot of fluid to lose. You shouldn't lose any. Have you checked for leaks? Is metal noise coming from discs or pedal? If its the pedal the pads should be ok. Check brake lines for corrosion too and cylinders for leaks. The only time your fluid levels will get low will be a result of pad wear, but not so much so as to have to refill the resevoir, especially with 1/2 litre of fluid.
        http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

ive had some occasions where the pads have worn so much theyve fell out the carrier and the piston in the front caliper has been pushed out becoming the pad, which leads to the fluid coming out past the seal. i dont know if this is possible on the surf ,but you would find a considerable amount of fluid around the caliper/wheel area.it could be possible the seals on the master cylinder have gone alowing the fluid to pass into the servo?
          DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

I guess I will need to raise her to inspect...where is the master break cylinder located? From initial inspection I can't see any fluid around the wheels but hard to see without going under (which I will do tonight)...I also thought the seals on master cylinder..

incidently the noise is off the pedal and not in the car so I don't think it could be the pads....

Comment

Working...
            X