Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight mis-fire/hunting when cold and a one off noise

Well
    Now, when its cold, it kinda has developed that good old fashioned Diesel resonating fast thrum, where it seems like its hunting (to use a petrol engine term). When it warms through, this seems to have disappeared.
    I've noticed no difference in idle speed, and it starts on the button and seems to drive fine?
    Any suggestions?
    Just to add a touch of melodrama to the plot, the day before this started (on my way home), whilst running along (50mph), a screech emitted from the engine bay. I immediately lifted off and the revs dropped (auto box), and the note fell away. On pressing on again, it raised in frequency again (definitely engine speed related). After 200 yds, it changed to a clattery noise, as if something was catching a fan, and then it disappeared entirely. Total duration of noise, 500 yds, if you'll excuse my incorrect use of units.
    On getting home (1 mile further), I looked in the engine bay as it sat there running happily and could find or sense nothing wrong. I did a quick check of the air-con (it wasn't on when the noise occurred) and that kicked in and worked A1.

Any suggestions. I have had advice about the Timing belt idler/tensioner bearings maybe partially seizing (or whatever). The car has covered 168k km. I guess the belts been changed before I bought it , but I know nothing of the idler or tensioner. I have bought a set of parts to do this job, but could this have happened. Could the belt jump a tooth? What was the noise?

Cheers... Rob.
    Red to Red, Black to Black, Blue to bits!

Dirty injectors dribble instead of spray a mist, this will cause rough idling, especially when cold.

Have you tried some diesel injector cleaner in the tank?

Check the tension of all the drive belts, alternator x2, power steering, air-con.

Comment

Will check the belts again.
      Is it heard of for the timing belt adjuster to seize?

I ran some injector cleaner through recently. Will get more when I fill up.

Otherwise, how much is it to get the injectors cleaned professionally? Any ideas??

Cheers... Rob.
      Red to Red, Black to Black, Blue to bits!

Comment

Working...
      X