EGR stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR stuff

Need some advise, first i appoligise for the size of the pics, made em that big so i can add text so i know wot goes where when i refit stuff,
    Firstly i removed the EGR pipework and vac stuff, i know there's a mod where ya blank off one side or the other, so am i right in thinking if you do that it renders the whole thing U/S? and if you do that you might as well remove the whole lot and blank off the connection at the inlet manifold and the exhaust manifold, BUT! wot does the vac unit do thats attached to it? can anyone advise, has anyone done it?
    Secondly the EGR inlet manifold connection, when i removed it i noticed there's a lot of oily black carbon grunge in there, i s$$$$ed out some but would ya reccomend i take the manifold off and give it a good clean out, the $hite seems to be thicker at the EGR fitting port,
    Or should i just s$$$$e out what i can, stick it all back together and do the cable tie mod instead

Last edited by POPEYE; 24 April 2007, 20:41.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Gary wild thing took his off completetly
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
      yes but he had the engine out which he said made it a lot easier
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

but we got 3.0's i don't know about the 2.4's tho
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
          Cheers Richard, i'll have to give him a shout, i'd like to get rid but not sure about all those little sodding vac pipes, wireing plugs and other unidentified stuff
          Just saw the last two posts, 3lt may differ so i'll hang on and see what other replys i get,
          Last edited by POPEYE; 24 April 2007, 20:55.

Comment

Just bumping my questions, Anyone? i did a search but could'nt find anything
            that answered what i wanted to know,
            i've removed the inlet manifold so i can give it a good clean out so forget that question,

just one more thing, i've removed the injectors and as i cant afford new ones whats the best thing to clean em in? i was thinking of petrol, and is it best to dismantle em? they dont look too bad, ends are a bit black, hopefully someone can give me some advise on the above stuff, cheers

Comment

Simon O tore a load of stuff out of his. It sounds like the same things but I don't really know what all that stuff is in there:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24226

(reads thread) oh yeah, and his was non-efi.
              Last edited by Sancho; 25 April 2007, 18:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                Simon O tore a load of stuff out of his. It sounds like the same things but I don't really know what all that stuff is in there:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24226

(reads thread) oh yeah, and his was non-efi.
                Thanks Adam apprecieate that! feels like i'm getting somewhere now, i'll have a good read of that tonight,

Comment

Originally posted by ian619

just one more thing, i've removed the injectors and as i cant afford new ones whats the best thing to clean em in? i was thinking of petrol, and is it best to dismantle em? they dont look too bad, ends are a bit black, hopefully someone can give me some advise on the above stuff, cheers

That's what I'm gonna do, soak them in petrol overnight then probably a blow through with a air line.

Interesting find in the inlet manifold Ian, I'll have to clean mine out too!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    That's what I'm gonna do, soak them in petrol overnight then probably a blow through with a air line.

What you cleaning your injectors for when you're junking the engine for a V8? What mileage will you do before you do the swap? 10? 12?

miles?
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER

Yeah that EGR connection's a bit like a dead end in a drain, all the $hite seems to build up there, i really dont see where this egr stuff is doing any good at all, thats why i want to junk the lot, not sure how is reflects on the emissions at mot time tho, right petrol it is then,

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                        Yeah that EGR connection's a bit like a dead end in a drain, all the $hite seems to build up there, i really dont see where this egr stuff is doing any good at all, thats why i want to junk the lot, not sure how is reflects on the emissions at mot time tho, right petrol it is then,
                        i'm very pished so could be putting upself for IOTW but i'm sure that the EGR is for removal/lowering of NOX c r a p in the fume test thing. but this isn't part of the MOT criteria so it matters not one bit....YET....if you do remove it all, jeep it as i'm sure they'll(the government) will introduce this as part of the test at some point and put a tax on the NOX output.
                        i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                          i'm very pished so could be putting upself for IOTW but i'm sure that the EGR is for removal/lowering of NOX c r a p in the fume test thing. but this isn't part of the MOT criteria so it matters not one bit....YET....if you do remove it all, jeep it as i'm sure they'll(the government) will introduce this as part of the test at some point and put a tax on the NOX output.
                          Logey79, if you jeep all your old parts you could well be up for IOTW!

as for the EGR, it's job is to poison the engine by re-circulating the exhaust gas back into the inlet manifold, as Logey said it's supposed to lower the amount of NOX (oxides of nitrogen) in the exhaust it does it by reducing the temp of the burning gas in the cylinder.

I've never thought that dumping carbon into the inlet side of an engine was a good idea & have disconnected all my previous egr's.

I've removed both the 2.4 & 3.0 egr's and mine are currently residing in a field somewhere as for the pipes and wires I kept the actuator valve and just plugged the outlet pipe. There is also less to fit back on, and a bit more space to work in. I made plates up out of 10mm steel plate, drilled them and bolted them on with some new bolts.
                          Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650
                            Logey79, if you jeep all your old parts you could well be up for IOTW!

as for the EGR, it's job is to poison the engine by re-circulating the exhaust gas back into the inlet manifold, as Logey said it's supposed to lower the amount of NOX (oxides of nitrogen) in the exhaust it does it by reducing the temp of the burning gas in the cylinder.

I've never thought that dumping carbon into the inlet side of an engine was a good idea & have disconnected all my previous egr's.

I've removed both the 2.4 & 3.0 egr's and mine are currently residing in a field somewhere as for the pipes and wires I kept the actuator valve and just plugged the outlet pipe. There is also less to fit back on, and a bit more space to work in. I made plates up out of 10mm steel plate, drilled them and bolted them on with some new bolts.
                            Cant argue with that, could'nt see what good it does in "cleaning up" the exhaust gasses on a 14 year old engine, all it does is cake up the inlet, no wonder it drove like pig, if you dont mind i'll PM you this evening to pick your brains if thats OK, got to go out today, dont wish to take up too much of your time but i know bugger all about this stuff, especially the electricle side of it, Cheers Ian

Comment

Think one of the chaps on the Oz site mentioned a Subaru cleaner was the best thing for removing all the crud out of the inlet manifold, Ian. Do a search for parrasurfa and manifold on their site. Should fetch up the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X