Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4's can tow heavy after all :)

Hi all

Ok so we made it. My lean grean towing machine just pulled 850 hard miles in up to 28 degree temperatures, with a huge (12ft x 6'6" x 6'6" single wheelbase square, box trailer weighing at least 1300 kg, maybe 1500, up and down (unintended) mountains, and nothing broke.

the ATF fluid temp warning light came on twice in 3 days, once briefly on the way to portsmouth, before we'd even really got going, which rattled my confidence in her slightly, but it was at the top of a long steep 2 mile stop start haul often at walking pace and it was only on briefly, maybe 15 secs, and later I realised I hadnt had the fans on, so that one was user error.

the next time was at the top of an 800m mountain drag, (lost leaving Bilbao, after a 2hr traffic jam there straight off the boat) and it stayed on a little longer but soon dropped out again.

some of the really long hard drags up motorways had her down to 35mph with the weight of the trailer and my (standard) temp gauge only twice briefly twitched out of its normal position, at which point I put all both heaters on full, and down she came again.

All in all I'd say the aircon ATF cooler conversion was a total success and a 15 year old car just sailed through a really tough test a whole lot easier than were now finding carrying it all up the stairs.

the (free ) cooling system mods done were:

aircon condenser to atf cooler conversion (including twin fans)
    8mm spacer blocks lifting bonner for airflow
    auxiliary rad fan override switch (on while towing)

as well as that I renewed the rad cap and made sure the viscous system worked properly and a full service. i'll stick pictures up to illustrate this feat in a day or two and you can see how happy she is in the warm. i'm off down the supermarket for her vegoil

one question, should I really change the gearbox oil again after my two warning lights?
    Biggus Truckus..

Hi mate, glad you made it.

See what the ATF fluid looks like on the dipstick, if it still looks red and clear (It was new only last week!) it'll probably be OK, if its brown and smells burnt it'll have to go.

Having said that, you won't any harm changing it again, and its not really expensive or tricky.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

8mm spacer blocks to lift the bonnet... hmm thats an interesting one.. I presume that is to lift the trailing edge of the bonnet...?

Anyone already making these...?

Comment

nope but im thinking of getting some - maybe not as big as 8mm though.
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
          8mm spacer blocks to lift the bonnet... hmm thats an interesting one.. I presume that is to lift the trailing edge of the bonnet...?

I have a lathe, you want them in mild steel, stainless or nylon?

Comment

Nylon... hmmmm... interesting...

Comment

I'm gonna do this....

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBonnet.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                You'll need a bigger baking tray than last time!!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  and its not really expensive or tricky.

Good job really... I'm still wiping it off my nearside battery...
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache

Good job really... I'm still wiping it off my nearside battery...
                    Hardy-har!

That was exceptional circumstances....

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                      Hardy-har!

That was exceptional circumstances....

Well it was pretty exceptional from where I was standing!
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

ok guys so whats the prefered way to keep the engine bay cool? and how effective is it??
                        i spent yesterday morning flushing engine block and rad out clean out between fins on rad too.
                        as have found when going quickly on motorway and sometimes towing the caravan the temp does creep up some
                        so tryin to prepare for a nice hot summer here
                        Enjoying Life after Cancer
                        Pops

Comment

pics

..some pics of my baby. oh, and one of the girlfriend too well gearbox oil seems fine, weve been ragging it around a beach this afternoon, and yesterday i cruised straight over a big ditch that grounded the cherokee here constantly last year

Good ol car. I've had 3 offers for it since I've been here, as theres loads of 4Runners here, but the surf looks like a pimped up one. think am gonna start bringing 'em down from the UK and flood the place with surfers
                          Biggus Truckus..

Comment

yeah..

Originally posted by AndyLala

yeah, a cheap & easy alternative to the whole bonnet scoop drama if youre in a rush. got the idea on here, dont know exactly how much help it was, but I think it probably contributes when youre pushing to the max and on the edge of it's limits. & thanks to Tony for your help, experience & unfaltering faith in Surf abilities.

do you guys want me to take photos of the Surf in every good place we take it to? kind of like a Surf's retirement diary?
                            Biggus Truckus..

Comment

Working...
                            X