Which way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which way

Thought i'd better check before i beat the caca out of it, which way does the crankshaft pully (harmonic ballencer) bolt undo???, looking from the front is it anticlockwise or clockwise? tried it both ways and it dont want to know,
    Also is there any way to lock the engine from turning, (in drive and park wont work, obviously) ta very much
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Originally posted by ian619
    Thought i'd better check before i beat the caca out of it, which way does the crankshaft pully (harmonic ballencer) bolt undo???, looking from the front is it anticlockwise or clockwise? tried it both ways and it dont want to know,
    Also is there any way to lock the engine from turning, (in drive and park wont work, obviously) ta very much
    Put a 19 mm socket and bar on the bolt then jam the bar against the chassis and give the ignition key a quick flick to turn the engine over, this will free the bolt
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by gary16163
      Put a 19 mm socket and bar on the bolt then jam the bar against the chassis and give the ignition key a quick flick to turn the engine over, this will free the bolt
      That sounds like it could be the first 19mm socket and bar in space! (or stuck in me garage roof) however i got no batterys on and half the electrics disconnected so thats ones out, i take it it undoes anti clockwise then, assumeing the engine runs clockwise,

Comment

DO NOT use the ignition key method, as this will probably knacker something, maybe the starter or starter terminals etc, and as said could launch the bar into space or your head. ( yours not the surfs)

On the front of the crank pulley are four internal threads, I think 8mm, I used two short pieces of 8mm threaded rod ( about 4" long) and screwed them in.

Then put a bar through them and lock it against the chassis.

you can then use your socket and a breaker bar to undo the large nut.

Refitting is the same ( but in reverse)

You will need a proper pulley puller with threaded bolts into the same holes, NOT the type that grabs the pulley on the outside as this will break the edge of the pulley.

If you need any more info, just post.
        Last edited by plumb bob; 18 April 2007, 15:31.
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Cheers Bob, yeah was'nt gonna try that even if i had the batterys on, left a spanner on a crank bolt once and nearly $hit myself when i started it up, big dent in the bonnet!
          Well i got the bugga off useing roughly the method you said, undone the four bolts and removed the two outer pullys, made a bar to bolt in two of the holes and jammed it on the chassi, i had to cut the end off a 19x24mm ring so i could get the square bar on it, this has got to be the tightest ba$tard i've ever come across and i done a few in my time, you can see from the pic what it did to the ring spanner, i was $hitting myself in case the bolt sheared off in the crank, the bolt is like new at the back so i'm thinking has it ever been off?, has the timeing belt ever been changed?, would one last 14 years?
          Ihad to take me coat off to this thing
          Last edited by POPEYE; 18 April 2007, 15:45.

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
            Cheers Bob, yeah was'nt gonna try that even if i had the batterys on, left a spanner on a crank bolt once and nearly $hit myself when i started it up, big dent in the bonnet!
            Well i got the bugga off useing roughly the method you said, undone the four bolts and removed the two outer pullys, made a bar to bolt in two of the holes and jammed it on the chassi, i had to cut the end off a 19x24mm ring so i could get the square bar on it, this has got to be the tightest ba$tard i've ever come across and i done a few in my time, you can see from the pic what it did to the ring spanner, i was $hitting myself in case the bolt sheared off in the crank, the bolt is like new at the back so i'm thinking has it ever been off?, has the timeing belt ever been changed?, would one last 14 years?
            Ihad to take me coat off to this thing
            Yup it's a tight one alright, I see by the pics you must have the front off the car, What is it you are doing, the head??

A cam belt wouldn't/shouldn't be left for 14 years, I think 60,000 miles or 3years.

Make sure you torque it up proper when you put it back on. ( grandma and sucking eggs I suspect)
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
              Yup it's a tight one alright, I see by the pics you must have the front off the car, What is it you are doing, the head??

A cam belt wouldn't/shouldn't be left for 14 years, I think 60,000 miles or 3years.

Make sure you torque it up proper when you put it back on. ( grandma and sucking eggs I suspect)
              I'm stripping as much as i can off the front so i can clean it all and paint, this all started with a body lift which req removeing the bumper and rad etc, its just escualated from there, thought i may as well do the belts, hoses, intercooler, and home made snorkels, the front should end up looking a bit like the back
              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32602

yep i'm nuttier than squirell $hit
              Last edited by POPEYE; 18 April 2007, 18:21.

Comment

Working...
              X