smurfL6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smurfL6

My 2.4 TD auto on a J plate so far in the past year has had a new cylinder head and a new(2nd hand) auto box as the old one cooked. My problem is that the fan is coming on whenever she climbs a steady hill. This then leads to the box skipping about. She doesn't do it all the time. But I am terrified the box or head will go again. Past episodes totally cleaned me out. All heater & cooler system checks have come up ok. Is this normal? I hate the noise of the fan kicking in and turn radio up. In fact I now don't enjoy driving it anymore. Any advice would be welcome. Also is it poss to put a manual box in?

I know what you mean mate, my 2.4 manual has cleaned me out and put me in debt, and she ain't finished with me yet. In the last year its cost me more than I paid for it.

Anyway, your ATF is (Ithink) cooled via an additional tank on the bottom of your radiator, so you need to double check that it and the pipe-work to and from the auto box is cleaned and clear.

You could think about an extra ATF cooler, I'm sure some others on here have done it.

Check your coolant concentration and make sure it's the correct type, and good quality.

Check/change the AT fluid.

Hope this helps, don'tn be too discouraged, that how cars are.
    Last edited by plumb bob; 17 April 2007, 22:09.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Hello Sally,

Yikes - my mothers maiden name is Barnett - we might be related!

We are having a Surf weekend in Llandovery 11th & 12th (and a hungover 13th) May.

Come and have a chat and we'll all have a look at your truck - don't forget to bring some beer!
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by smurfL6
        My 2.4 TD auto on a J plate so far in the past year has had a new cylinder head and a new(2nd hand) auto box as the old one cooked. My problem is that the fan is coming on whenever she climbs a steady hill. This then leads to the box skipping about. She doesn't do it all the time. But I am terrified the box or head will go again. Past episodes totally cleaned me out. All heater & cooler system checks have come up ok. Is this normal? I hate the noise of the fan kicking in and turn radio up. In fact I now don't enjoy driving it anymore. Any advice would be welcome. Also is it poss to put a manual box in?
        I had the very same problem in the missus 2.4, sluggish take up from rest, fan coming on then finally overheating on long hills.

I would suggest checking the transmission oil level, do it running, pref normal temp and select every gear first to prime the box.

I ended up changing the transmission oil to solve the gearbox problems, but as your gearbox has been replaced it should already be recently new.

With the fan coming on I would think this would point to 2 things.
        1) Faulty fan switch
        2) Running hot

I would hazzard a guess at the 2nd one. I've just replaced the rad on the missus 2.4 it was blocked to say the least with lots and lots of crud. since then the fan hasen't come on, even after a damn good thrashing up hills!

A manual box into an auto...... Hmm I suppose it's possible but there would be lots to change, might even need a new pedal box to take the clutch pedal.

Normally these autoboxes don't give many problems, it certainly sounds like the oil is getting too hot. Does the "A/T temp" light come on with the ignition?
        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

AT Temp light

Yeh it does come on. Temp gauge stays pretty well in middle all the time. Think I'll try out the full rad clean and poss do gear box oil as well, just to be sure. Box was from a s$$$$py but I saw it running b4 I bought it, seemed good. Did oil change but maybe $$$$ in system

Sorry took while to answer been away........

Comment

Working...
          X