yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tony N / Bushwhacker - please help bud this is doing my head in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony N / Bushwhacker - please help bud this is doing my head in.

LOL, well this is starting to get silly now and if I am totally honest is actually starting to get to me.

Took it back to the garage who changed my stop switch seal last time and they swapped the seal again. I asked him to make sure it was tightened up and so that was that. He didn't charge me which was fair enough but suggested that if it does it again it might be an electrical fault. I drove home without a problem, then I drove to my appointment and after about 20 mins and a few stops at lights / junctions etc I noticed some black smoke coming out the back at a set of lights. When I drove away the smoke subsided until I pulled up at the next set of lights and once again there was some smoke (quite alot actually).... I drove on and the smoke disappeared again and at the next set of lights I stopped, my revs went down to 500 and then dropped off to nothing and the engine stalled. I started it up again without a problem and drove on.......

Does this sound like an electrical fault or simply air getting in from a poorly fitting stop switch?

I have described EXACTLY what is happening to the mechanic and he did what he thought needed doing and the problem is still there..... Where is all this black smoke coming from and why do I keep gettign this engine stall?

Please advise.

Jon.
    Last edited by Razorhoof; 17 April 2007, 14:04.
    www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

I've been following your posts over the last few weeks and I can see your despair levels rising.

All I can offer is my take on the situation in the hope some of the more experienced guys will jump in.

I see your issue as being the stalling and black smoke. Black smoke is an indicator of incomplete combustion. For good combustion you need the right amount of air, the right amount of fuel and for the two to meet in the cylinder at precisely the right time in the right pattern. So I'd start by going over your air intake system. Change the air filter, remove the hoses and check for blockages/kinks/bad seals. It could even be a blocked exhaust. All will effect air intake. Once you've checked all that (and it really just requires some getting in there and getting dirty) I'd move onto the fuel side of things. I'd be wondering about the injectors and whether one or more is duff. Injectors aren't cheap so get serious with the redex treatment, that is fill the fuel filter and rag it for a while. Injectors can be sent away to be checked and re conned. Of course lets not forget the diesel itself as the quality could effect the running but I assume you'll have had a fair few tanks through in this time. Bad combustion would could cause the engine to stall.

So to re cap if it were me start with the air intake and check all that out, new filter, check hoses and exhaust.

Do remember though no-one on here is an oracle and myself least of all.

Dave

Comment

I forgot this...

I mentioned timing is critical for combustion. I can't remember how these issues started for you and whether a new head was involved. If the engine timing is out then that would effect combustion too.

Dave

Comment

spluttering to a stop seems like fuel starvation, now with an air leak sometimes they would take a while to re-start, as fuel was being re-pumped upto the injectors.

One thing to try is with, say 1/2 tank of fuel to remove the fuel cap, (i only say 1/2 tank so you dont loose any diesel, which would be disastarous for bikers (like me), and it would be a waste too).

Without the fuel cap if there is any air locking because of blocked breather it would clear, now saying that I would expect it to happen at highter revs too. But it's worth a try

other than that. I'm stumped
        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Guys honestly, I really appreciate it. I basically rely on this car but don't have a great deal of spare cash to sort it out. I bought it for £1400 and have spent almost £800 on it up to now.... I can't afford any expensive repairs.....

I will try redex and will get someone to look at it again with me (I quite simply haven't got much of a clue about cars).

Is it not more than a coincidence that since I had my stop switch seal replaced to cure a fuel leak that all these problems have happened?

Thanks.

Comment

On EFI trucks that part isn't just the stop valve, its also the Spill Control Valve, which does other fueling things as well as shutting the fuel off when you turn the motor off.

I know of a 3.0 that wouldn't start, they tried the valve off another truck and it worked, but removing again and putting it back in the original truck killed it. So it seems quite delicate (and expensive!).

I have no personal experiance with the part, but sounds like you may need a new one.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony mate, I know I am a pain but I appreciate the help. I phucking love this car but just want it to work properly coz I have a little lad and a little girl and once or twice it has done this with them in the car with me (a few times when turning into a corner) and it is not safe really.

I have just been onto Milners and was asking them about the cost of that part you told me about Tony, and the guy started asking me some questions and stuff… Turns out he thinks that it is getting air in from somewhere (as suggested by others on here). He has suggested that due to the fact that I am having the problem at roughly the same times and roughly the same pattern that my fuel filter housing might be letting air in.

He suggested bypassing the fuel filter for a couple of days and seeing if that cures the problem and if so then I just need to replace it.

Does that sound feasible?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof

He suggested bypassing the fuel filter for a couple of days and seeing if that cures the problem and if so then I just need to replace it.

If it's just problem with the fuel filter, just replace it. They cost very little. I kind of assumed you'd had the whole vehicle serviced and had new fluids and filters soon after you got it.

Comment

Yeah I did have it serviced etc but apparently the problem might be with the filter 'housing' which is like £80 to buy instead of the filter which is only cheap...... According to the guy from Milners.

Comment

That'll be this bit then...

shouldn't let enough air in to cause it to stall... if it did, there wouldn't be enough pressure in the lin to start it...

Certainly isn't £80.00 either...

http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=135&vid=551

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof
                      Thanks Tony mate, I know I am a pain but I appreciate the help. I phucking love this car but just want it to work properly coz I have a little lad and a little girl and once or twice it has done this with them in the car with me (a few times when turning into a corner) and it is not safe really.

I have just been onto Milners and was asking them about the cost of that part you told me about Tony, and the guy started asking me some questions and stuff… Turns out he thinks that it is getting air in from somewhere (as suggested by others on here). He has suggested that due to the fact that I am having the problem at roughly the same times and roughly the same pattern that my fuel filter housing might be letting air in.

Actually thinking about it now it does sound feasable, You could bypass it for a short time but as the diesel won't be filtered I wouldn't run it for too long,

Whilst your having a rummage in the area it might be worth just checking the fuel filter is tight as is the drain tap in the bottom. as tesco says. every little helps!
                      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
                      X