Anti Roll Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Roll Bar

I have heard of people removing anti roll bars.

Due to striped and corroded bolt anti roll bar bracket I need to remove front bar, grind or cut off old bolt head, drill out and re-tap. As it may not be a straight forward job (When are they ever?) and I need daily road use.

(a) Is it safe without a bar? (b) What would the handling be like? (c) Is it legal?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing

Originally posted by Weston Dave
    I have heard of people removing anti roll bars.

Due to striped and corroded bolt anti roll bar bracket I need to remove front bar, grind or cut off old bolt head, drill out and re-tap. As it may not be a straight forward job (When are they ever?) and I need daily road use.

(a) Is it safe without a bar? (b) What would the handling be like? (c) Is it legal?
    Hi Dave..I have taken them both off of mine.You may get a bit more body roll so just be carefull going round roundabouts or cornering
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I took the rear off yesterday and replaced the bushes on the front and it seems fine, bit more body roll, but nothing drastic especially with the shocks set to hard. I stripped a bolt on the front when changing the bushes and found one of the bolts from the rear makes an ideal replacement
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Anti Roll Bar

Thanks Guys.
        Will try to keep it on the road. Surely it can’t roll as much as one of those French thingies with the deckchairs!!
        David

Comment

its legal mate, you can't fail an MOT for not having anti roll bars, if they are not fitted, then they can't test them.
          TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

As anticipated problems with task that looked simple

One of the captive nuts that hold the rubber bush bracket to the chassis has come lose and disappeared inside the chassis.
            I’ve thought of 3 options and would like to ask the audience
            (1)Tap out the chassis member to 11 or 12mm (present hole 10.25mm).
            (2)Fit a plate 4 or 5mm thick to chassis. Drill & tap & bolt bracket to it. This would lower the bar by that amount.
            (3)Drill hole in side of chassis large enough (about 14mm) to feed a bolt through and out of existing hole or manoeuvre a nut through hole into position onto the bolt though bracket and chassis. Not sure about drilling hole in chassis though!

Comment

One of the captive nuts that hold the rubber bush bracket to the chassis has come lose and disappeared inside the chassis.
              I’ve thought of 3 options and would like to ask the audience
              (1)Tap out the chassis member to 11 or 12mm (present hole 10.25mm).
              (2)Fit a plate 4 or 5mm thick to chassis. Drill & tap & bolt bracket to it. This would lower the bar by that amount.
              (3)Drill hole in side of chassis large enough (about 14mm) to feed a bolt through and out of existing hole or manoeuvre a nut through hole into position onto the bolt though bracket and chassis. Not sure about drilling hole in chassis though!
              or option 4 just take the front a/r/bar off completely

Comment

4, see how it drives for a couple of weeks, if you don't like it go back to 1,2, or 3
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

i've taken both off and quite like the extra body roll but just take it easy cornering

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                    i've taken both off and quite like the extra body roll but just take it easy cornering

Does it counter act the effect of the drugs?
                    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
                      Does it counter act the effect of the drugs?
                      i don't get sea sick from it tho...

Comment

Removed anti roll bar as suggested. Really surprised how little roll, though noticeably more under-steer.
                        Thanks guys, David

Comment

Removed anti roll bar as suggested. Really surprised how little roll, though noticeably more under-steer.
                          Thanks guys, David
                          if you remove the rear aswell you will probably notice more body roll tho

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
                            its legal mate, you can't fail an MOT for not having anti roll bars, if they are not fitted, then they can't test them.
                            this is not entirely true im afraid,if they are fitted as standard for the vehicle,removing them will be a failure on the mot under section 2.4 of suspension in the mot testing guide,so be careful!
                            DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Originally posted by WARRIOR72
                              this is not entirely true im afraid,if they are fitted as standard for the vehicle,removing them will be a failure on the mot under section 2.4 of suspension in the mot testing guide,so be careful!
                              i have put 2 surfs thru mot's with no anti roll bars on and they have passed no problem and the tester has never said anything about them not being on either

Comment

Working...
                              X