No announcement yet.

Engine cutting out - stil an issue.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cutting out - stil an issue.....

I have been having a problem recently with the
    engine cutting out while manuerving at very low speeds in parking
    situations and cutting out while stationary idling in front of stop
    lights.

The mechanic couldn't get it to stall which is frustrating but it definitely does it, it is odd but after I haven't driven for a while the idle rev's are around 750, after I come to a standstill a few times when at lights or turning a corner at low speed the idle revs get lower and lower and then eventually it will cut out. When I start the engine it is fine again and the whole process repeats itself. it might go for a day or so without doing it but it's really annoying. It seems to be linked to the engine warming up doesn't it?

Any suggestions?
    www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

Have you tried all the stuff previously suggested? You had the same problem.
    Sounds like fuel starvation or sucking air to me. Lob some Redex in the fuel filter and see if it clears your injectors.

Comment

Cool, ok mate - I will.

But where is the fuel filter and how do I open it ?

Comment

Also, would this problem be caused by a problem with the 'stop switch' or the solenoid? The mechanic said the solenoid was being charged correctly but didn't give any more detail? It started as I drove it back from the garage after getting the stop switch seal replaced (was the cause of a fuel leak).

Strange huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof
          Cool, ok mate - I will.

But where is the fuel filter and how do I open it ?
          you can empty a full bottle in the fuel tank (make sure its the redex for diesel engines) and just read the back before.
          then it will go thru the lines & filter, through the injectors into the engine..
          fuel filters should be replaced in services
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Also, would this problem be caused by a problem with the 'stop switch' or the solenoid? The mechanic said the solenoid was being charged correctly but didn't give any more detail? It started as I drove it back from the garage after getting the stop switch seal replaced (was the cause of a fuel leak).

Strange huh?
            Call me a bluff old traditionalist but I think air is getting into the system, has the stop switch been checked to see that it is actually tight?

The fuel filter is on the right hand side of the engine bay (looking from the front) a round thing with a black button on the top and a white dooferatorybob wirh wires underneath. It's right next to the wiper motor
            Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Hi mate.

Thanks for that - I also think that air is getting into the system and on Monday the guy is going to have a look at it again for me. I will ask him to do that very thing, thanks.

It has been serviced so the filter has been done already.

I don't know what the stop switch does or what it looks like but if anyone has a picture they could show me that would be cool :o).

Comment

Hi mate.

Thanks for that - I also think that air is getting into the system and on Monday the guy is going to have a look at it again for me. I will ask him to do that very thing, thanks.

It has been serviced so the filter has been done already.

I don't know what the stop switch does or what it looks like but if anyone has a picture they could show me that would be cool :o).
                I havent a clue what the surf one looks like, but every other one i've changed has been round (about 3/4 inch dia accross) with a plunger in one end, and a terminal in the other. It's job is to cut off the fuel supply to the injectors when the ignition is switched off. in a petrol engine you would stop the spark, because a diesel engine is a compression-ignition engine there is no spark so to stop the engine you have to stop the fuel entering the engine.

here endeth the 1st lesson
                Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
                X