mind boggling problem, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mind boggling problem, need help

Hi there, can anyone help with this one, went to start the surf this morning, turned key, nothing, thought batteries flat, jumped from wifes car, sorted, late for work, mate picked me up. Left instructions with wife, leave it for an hour then switch it off thinking it would put some charge in batteries. Talk to her on the phone, she'd done what I asked but then tried to re start the motor and again nothing....at work all day, I thinks, ahh the alternator belt must have broken, hence flat batteries and no charge.. get home from work looks under the bonnet...all belts are fine!! tried to start....glow plug light goes out, click from the switch a grunt, but not enough to spark her into action, now also notice batteries appear to have a charge as when the ignition goes on the battery indicator is slap in the middle, drops as normal when the key turned and returns to centre again after. Jump start her again, drive her twenty odd miles, just to be sure, back home, switch her off and still wont restart!!!. So far, I am assuming batteries ok as battery gauge ok, also assuming glow plugs and everything else fine as it will jump start with leads off another running motor ok, but as soon as it needs to start itself its as though the batteries are completely flat? Has anyone experienced anything like this before? if so can they point in the right direction at identifiying the suspect part, Could it be the starter relay?, someone please help, this baby has been a great motor and this is the first problem other than a couple of broken suspension bits in over four years..and its a 2.4srx on a j plate, ..Cheers guys.

Silly question time - HOW old are the batteries ?

Yes I have had to replace the blighters
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

my battery indicator sits on nearly full
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Could be a bad earth connection from battery to chassis, or worn out starter contacts, or faulty starter motor, check them out in that order.
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

mind boggler

Hi there, never been replaced since Ive had the motor, just been reading about batteries on this forum, do you reckon Im going to have stump up a few quid and are the symptoms sounding like I may have an almost dead one???

Comment

question for plumb bob

Hi there, cheers for the advice checked the earths already, bit that baffles me though, if the starter was faulty why does it start everytime I jump it from the wifes running motor, sorry guys but I aint no great mechanic..

Comment

Are you getting anything when you turn the key using a jump start? If not it might well be the starter contacts, not the batteries.
              Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by robbiethesurf
                Hi there, never been replaced since Ive had the motor, just been reading about batteries on this forum, do you reckon Im going to have stump up a few quid and are the symptoms sounding like I may have an almost dead one???

YEP !!!
                Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Hi there, cheers for the advice checked the earths already, bit that baffles me though, if the starter was faulty why does it start everytime I jump it from the wifes running motor, sorry guys but I aint no great mechanic..
                  Sorry, didn't read the post properly, if the starter turns when jumped, then it's almost certainly the batteries, and I'd replace them as a pair( that is if you have two) if I were you.
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

hi there

Originally posted by Tallyman
                    Are you getting anything when you turn the key using a jump start? If not it might well be the starter contacts, not the batteries.
                    the starter will turn over two or three times then stop when trying to start without jump leads. As soon as the jump leads go on it starts first time and everytime. Im pretty convinced it could be the batteries but checking over tonight wonderered if it could have been as simple as a relay or something else small and daft.

Comment

the starter will turn over two or three times then stop when trying to start without jump leads. As soon as the jump leads go on it starts first time and everytime. Im pretty convinced it could be the batteries but checking over tonight wonderered if it could have been as simple as a relay or something else small and daft.
                      check the battery terminals.if one is a bit loose then that can be the same as having a flat battery the same as mine did.as soon a i jiggled the loose terminal a bit and then it would start and if thats the case with yours take the battery leads off and give the terminals and leads a good clean down with some sand paper and refit and try again
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

cheers mate

Originally posted by plumb bob
                        Sorry, didn't read the post properly, if the starter turns when jumped, then it's almost certainly the batteries, and I'd replace them as a pair( that is if you have two) if I were you.
                        looks like im off to get some batteries, yes buddy there are the two, been jumping her off the nearside battery,,

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                          check the battery terminals.if one is a bit loose then that can be the same as having a flat battery the same as mine did.as soon a i jiggled the loose terminal a bit and then it would start and if thats the case with yours take the battery leads off and give the terminals and leads a good clean down with some sand paper and refit and try again
                          Hi there, did this earlier this evening, fraid it didn't work..

Comment

cheers for the help everyone

just wanna say a big thanks, looks like I'm gonna be splashing some cash on new batteries, thanks for the help, would have been pretty devastated to fork out on a pair of big booty batts to find it was a twenty quid relay, once again thanks...robbiethesurf

Comment

now also notice batteries appear to have a charge as when the ignition goes on the battery indicator is slap in the middle, drops as normal when the key turned and returns to centre again after.

The battery meter should read a bit higher with the engine running - if it is exactly the same as with it not running I'd suspect the alternator / charging sytem.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                              X