cylinder heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cylinder heads

I am thinking about buying an oldish (early 90s) 2.4 Surf, but have read a few things which suggest there is a major problem with their cylinder heads popping. Is there a high likelihood of something like this happening? I was initially attracted to a Hilux because of their reputation for reliablity; I don't really want to end up with a 'project', not least because I don't know the first thing about car maintenance!

yep the head is a weak point, look out for one thats already been done mate.
    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Bear in mind that you are looking for a vehicle that is 17 yrs old, so there will always be maintenance issues.
      As said, SOME 2.4's suffer with head cracking problems, but so do some 3.0's, and so do lots of other makes.

When you buy a second hand car you pays your money and takes your chance.

Look for one that has had the head replaced, and get PROOF!

There are plenty around at good prices, so shop around, and get a good colour, some are more desireable if they are grey or black.

PS: It may be a good idea to look in the for sale section on this forum, as you can check all previous posts and see what's been done and what problems it's had.
      Last edited by plumb bob; 5 April 2007, 22:51.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

The 2.4's are totaly bombproof - they never EVER blow up - it is all a Land Rover lie.

OK - Mine blew at 85000km? but I've also had the new 2.8(3L) head on my truck for 4 years and 135,000 kms and we are now Siamese Twins.
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
        X