fuel heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel heater

hi all, I've been running veg oil in my truck now for some time in no more than 40 - 50% blend and things are going well, except the ocasional lumpy starting from cold. But I'd like to run more and so I was looking at ways of doing this, one way I was thinking was to install a fuel heater. I've heard some surfs having these built in, mine is not fortunate enough to have one, but the housing for the fuse is there. How easy is it to get one of these for the surf? Alternatively I've seen something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIO-DIESEL-FUE...QQcmdZViewItem on e-bay. Looks a simple proceedure to install and to operate. Does anyone have fuel heaters and can they recommend one? Another plan was to wrap my fuel tank in boiler lagging to keep it warm, would this work?
    Hold my beer and watch this

Originally posted by Jason_b555
    hi all, I've been running veg oil in my truck now for some time in no more than 40 - 50% blend and things are going well, except the ocasional lumpy starting from cold. But I'd like to run more and so I was looking at ways of doing this, one way I was thinking was to install a fuel heater. I've heard some surfs having these built in, mine is not fortunate enough to have one, but the housing for the fuse is there. How easy is it to get one of these for the surf? Alternatively I've seen something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIO-DIESEL-FUE...QQcmdZViewItem on e-bay. Looks a simple proceedure to install and to operate. Does anyone have fuel heaters and can they recommend one? Another plan was to wrap my fuel tank in boiler lagging to keep it warm, would this work?
    That ebay one looks pretty shonky. I think most people (especially Philip ) would recommend the fuelcat combo.

Comment

what's involved with the fuel cat combo?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason_b555
        what's involved with the fuel cat combo?
        Have a look here or PM/email Philip and I'm sure he'll tell you all about it. He certainly has a bit of time to talk about it at the moment...

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
          Have a look here or PM/email Philip and I'm sure he'll tell you all about it. He certainly has a bit of time to talk about it at the moment...
          cheers

Comment

I fitted a fuel cat combo and have a tank of veg and its going fine its a bit lumpy and slow in the cold mornings but give it ten mins to warm up its fine!! well worth it. If you get one i can say its easyer to get one from some one whos supplys all you need to fit it, like the t pieces and extra hose as i struggled to sorce them! tonyn does with the kits he supplys.

good luck getting it sorted and smell like a proper 100% chippy!!
            it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Electric heaters work fine for initial startup, but you have to remember that there is fuel all the way through the system. Until the system gets upto temp, (unless you're running a dual tank system), you'd need heated fuel lines and tank anyhow to notice any difference. By the time the coolant exchanger is upto temperature, (Fuelcat), the fuel lines and tank are also flowing properly due to warm fuel being returned from the injector. If you're going electric, you'll need to do fuel lines, tank and heater to see the benefit, or just use the coolant exchanger for the minimum fuss with most benefit once the cooling system is upto temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy
                I fitted a fuel cat combo and have a tank of veg and its going fine its a bit lumpy and slow in the cold mornings but give it ten mins to warm up its fine!! well worth it. If you get one i can say its easyer to get one from some one whos supplys all you need to fit it, like the t pieces and extra hose as i struggled to sorce them! tonyn does with the kits he supplys.

good luck getting it sorted and smell like a proper 100% chippy!!
                sounds a good thanks, will pm TonyN now. Or if you're reading this tony, could you help?

Comment

electric heating

I have used the glow-plug heaters and dont rate them one bit. I am currently using a Bio-band fuel filter heater from dieselveg. This is manually switched from the dash and can be left on or switched off if used in conjunction with a coolant heat exchanger. 200 W `s of heat is one of the more powerful 12v heating system. Brilliant starting with this heater! Next winter I will be adding injector-line heating.
                  Cheers,
                  Chris