smokin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokin

Mornin all, wonder if anyone can give me a clue when cold my 2.4 td smokes and sounds like its only running on 3 cylinders.Once revved to about 2000 the smoke clears and the truck runs like a dream. Any ideas would be much appreciated p.s. ive just changed the glow plugs and no difference. cheers dave

Does it do it when the truck has warmed up - and have you noticed lack of power when driving?

Sounds like it may be an injector - cheap fix is a bottle of redex in a nearly empty fuel tank - it may clear it.

If it is an injector they can be serviced or renewed - this is where it starts to get expensive!

Or the fuel pump might be playing up.

EDIT - just thought - make sure the glow plug rail is properly cleaned and reassembled - if a new plug has a poor connection it will still act like a failed plug.
    Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 30 March 2007, 10:28.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

No its fine when warm only plays up if parked for about 4 hours, not much worse if parked overnight. I wondered about injector if its dumping fuel into one cylinder due to pressure.

Comment

If it just runs like a bag of sh1t from cold, sometimes struggles to start, and produces lot's of whitish grey smoke, for a couple of seconds on a cold start, check your battery earth connections and maybe add an extra earth strap from battery to body. for what it costs it's worth doin anyway.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Originally posted by mav666
          Mornin all, wonder if anyone can give me a clue when cold my 2.4 td smokes and sounds like its only running on 3 cylinders.Once revved to about 2000 the smoke clears and the truck runs like a dream. Any ideas would be much appreciated p.s. ive just changed the glow plugs and no difference. cheers dave
          daft question really, but do you wait for the bleeper to start, I found the 2.4 more difficult to start with the new plugs in. I think my new one's take longer to get upto temprature?
          Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Sounds like GLOW PLUGS is your wiring correct on Re assembly or your not letting the RELAY click.
            Last edited by marky; 30 March 2007, 13:45.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

yes it is a white/grey smoke, waiting for beep and also using glow plug pre heater which is fitted. Did notice when i changed the old glow plugs back cylinder glow plug appeared to be darker at the base than the others

Comment

Once the GLOWPLUG light has gone off wait for a click, This is the Relay also check Fuses i think its an 80 amp fuse in the Engine bay.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

I know the earth strap sounds weird, but honestly, i did my glowplugs a few months back, i always wait for the relay and beep, and it was still sometimes hard to start with a nice puff of smoke on startup. It ran rough for a couple of minutes from cold,and was asthough it was occasionally missing a cylinder for the first 20-30 seconds. I only discovered i had a poor earth connection when i upgraded the headlight loom last week, and had trouble getting it to work right. Put a new strap between the body and pass. side battery and it now starts on the button and runs as smooth as you like. for £4 it's the best thing i've done to me truck since i bought it.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

Thanx for that one nero will get one over the weekend and give it a whirl
                    cheers

Comment

what does that constant beep mean when you leave the ignition on?
                      i normally turn on ignition, wait til the glow light goes out, then turn off and turn back on again, wait for the light to go out a 2nd time, then start.

in cold weather it may start then miss a couple then be fine.
                      if i only light the light once in cold weather it will miss fire loads before smoothing out.
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                        what does that constant beep mean when you leave the ignition on?
                        i normally turn on ignition, wait til the glow light goes out, then turn off and turn back on again, wait for the light to go out a 2nd time, then start.

in cold weather it may start then miss a couple then be fine.
                        if i only light the light once in cold weather it will miss fire loads before smoothing out.
                        once the light has gone out wait till you hear the relay click and then try to start
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                          once the light has gone out wait till you hear the relay click and then try to start

i did that actually a couple of times, cos you can hear it click off a few more seconds after the light goes out. so the car must keep heating the plugs after the engine has supposed to be started.
                          glad im not deaf
                          thanks
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                          X