turbo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo question

Right i have done all the correct things used the search button and found some promising and interesting info, BUT i have a problem.

Most of the time my truck runs fine no smoke (apart from start up and when cold) and seems to go fine, is slow but to be expected. My issue is sometimes when i change into 3rd the trubo does not kick in i can hear it spinning up but nothing, it get a bit embarrsing, and occasionally when this happens it smokes. I think this is cos of the extra diesel it pumps in thinking the turbo is gonna help make use of it, is getting chucked into the exhaust.

This does not happen all the time. I though it was the vac pipes not being connected so found the diagrams on here and had a look. i will post a pic to show which one is off (the one i am holding not sure of pic quality). It has been deliberatly removed and had a screw put in to to block it off! So removed screw and reattached and started up and it cuts out. there is a valve thing (sorry not more specific) that snaps shut when it cuts out. any ideas why this should happen and weather these things are connected! I know danno put a new turbo on it when he had her.

any help much appreciated

Last edited by drunkmonkeyboy; 28 March 2007, 19:30.
    it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

I had a turbo that never came on and i switched some of those pipes around. See picture. Yellow text reads "this hose ends up doing a u turn as shown by orange line" Red points to number 1 and green points to number 2. If your confused just ask me. Click on picture. Does this help?
    Last edited by irishoffroad; 28 March 2007, 19:08.

Comment

I see what you mean. did you have any idea what was causing it and what this mod does?? apart from make your truck work

Oh and thanks for the advice

PS your truck is much much cleaner than mine!!!! i really dont know how all that mud got up under the bonnet!

Comment

something about bypassing the high pressure valve i think

Comment

you can always park by mine and compare the pipework
          My other cars a QUAD
          (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
          http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

thanks will have a look at that when i get a chance.

sv1000spilot when you get you tyres sorted then we will have to try and find some lanes near us and go out 9then i can have a look under your bonnet!

Comment

have tyres (no muds though just AT due to f~'K up at MOT ), bars, no side rails (and yes Abi does keep falling out) - come and play
              Last edited by sv1000spilot; 28 March 2007, 20:35.
              My other cars a QUAD
              (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
              http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by irishoffroad
                I had a turbo that never came on and i switched some of those pipes around. See picture. Yellow text reads "this hose ends up doing a u turn as shown by orange line" Red points to number 1 and green points to number 2. If your confused just ask me. Click on picture. Does this help?
                i know what this mod by passes the high valve, but what does it achieve, better acceleration, perfomance or what?

Comment

simon.O. did a good post on that valve in the intake but i can,t find it, it would be better off disconnected especially as yours has a prob anyway.
                  i think it has some contol over the egr valve letting it know how much exaust gas to let through and when, it also closes when you switch off ignition to give a smoother shutdown.
                  its not likley to be anyting to do with your turbo problam though. a boost gauge is a good buy so you can really see whats going on.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
                    i know what this mod by passes the high valve, but what does it achieve, better acceleration, perfomance or what?
                    it dosn,t achieve anything good as far as i can see. i have tried it the only real difference i noticed was on the boost gauge, i never had a vacuum reading just pressure all the time even at idle but then just a little.
                    if i have a sensor problam on my surf (theres only a couple being non efi) turbo pressure sensor or coolant temp. sensor. then i get no green light and no boost pressure even though you can here it spinning, the only way i can get the turbo going is to do that bypass mod. so if you need to bypass that blue vacuum valve then you more than likley have a problam with one of your sensors.
                    sorry i havn,t managed to put that into words too well hope it makes a little sense

Comment

Originally posted by jamsironwork
                      simon.O. did a good post on that valve in the intake but i can,t find it
                      http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/turboboostfix.htm

Nev

Comment

thanks for the replys guys never fail to get a responce!

Will have another look when i get a cance!

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy
                          Right i have done all the correct things used the search button and found some promising and interesting info, BUT i have a problem.

Most of the time my truck runs fine no smoke (apart from start up and when cold) and seems to go fine, is slow but to be expected. My issue is sometimes when i change into 3rd the trubo does not kick in i can hear it spinning up but nothing, it get a bit embarrsing, and occasionally when this happens it smokes. I think this is cos of the extra diesel it pumps in thinking the turbo is gonna help make use of it, is getting chucked into the exhaust.

This does not happen all the time. I though it was the vac pipes not being connected so found the diagrams on here and had a look. i will post a pic to show which one is off (the one i am holding not sure of pic quality). It has been deliberatly removed and had a screw put in to to block it off! So removed screw and reattached and started up and it cuts out. there is a valve thing (sorry not more specific) that snaps shut when it cuts out. any ideas why this should happen and weather these things are connected! I know danno put a new turbo on it when he had her.

any help much appreciated

Did you get your problem sorted. I have the same problem with the valve snapping shut and cutting the engine out. Been scratching my head for weeks. Would much appreciate any advise. Cheers Steve.
                          monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom 18
                            Did you get your problem sorted. I have the same problem with the valve snapping shut and cutting the engine out. Been scratching my head for weeks. Would much appreciate any advise. Cheers Steve.
                            Not yet been thinking of getting a boost gauge so i can see what is happening its still not attached at the mo it runs ok as it is but i i find anything i will post it up.

Comment

Working...
                            X