Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that go clunk!!

Hi all,
    Was wondering if you could possibly help me out?
    I was out the other day and experienced a loss in the power steering, on looking inside the engine compartment and found that the bracket (tensioner,) that holds the bottom belt has snapped (please see attachment), and was wondering;

1. What has this done to the engine / what does it do?.

2. Can I fix it myself & how much am I looking at?.

3. I remember reading about re-gearing from the import models, as my surf in very slow going up even mild inclines without a run up, @40kph on auto gearbox, and wondered any way to check this or any other probs?.(Have already checked the vacuum pipe connections)

4. Also I looked at doing the DIY turbo boost when you change round the vacuum pipes but the pics on the site all have different setups and I can’t seem to find one for the 2.4 LTE (I think!).

Sorry for this going on a bit but any help anyone could give would be much appreciated.

Also i know this isnt on the right thread, but when i tried to attach more pics i was oversize on the file limits is there a way to downsize the pic?.

Many thanks in advance

Wiggy
    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

I stuggled to see thought my new rice filter on the montior (see the mpg info post) but it looks like the power steering pump bracket, Don't know what the sensor is though, my 2.4 ssrx dosent have one on!

the turbo boost can be done by putting a couple of washers under the wastegate bracket, there are lots of threads on here about it.

I use paint shop pro to re-size my images before uploading them, but any decent photo editing software should do it (but windows paint is cr@p)
    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

That sensor looks worringly like someones made a crankshaft position sensor adapter to run on the pulley, rather than in the block like a EFI motor should have.

Which leads you to think that a non-EFI block has been swapped in.

The pump bracket shouldn't be to hard, you may want to remove the whole thing from the side of the engine, including the engine mount, as if you have to take the pulley off its normally on f**k tight and there isn't a lot of room.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the info for the turbo, will have a look later on & i know about Paint but i got a bit click happy when cleaning up the pc the other night.... do you know if it is easy enough to change the bracket myself? looked a bit tight in there!!

Comment

Thanks Tony you have me a lil worried about what you said about the crank sensor,what does that actually mean??(still learning!! ) sounds like it might cost a few pennies to fix. Could this be why it runs like poo

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy
            Thanks Tony you have me a lil worried about what you said about the crank sensor,what does that actually mean??(still learning!! ) sounds like it might cost a few pennies to fix. Could this be why it runs like poo
            Sorry!

Very basicly, there a two versions of the 2.4 in 2nd gen Surfs, 89-90 are non-EFI, 91-93 are EFI.

The EFI trucks have a electronicly controlled fuel pump, the older ones don't.

If someones put a non-EFI block in your truck, and tried to make it EFI, (to use the EFI pump and the rest of the gubbings on your truck) you will find there isn't a hole in the block or a lug on the crank web for the crankshaft position sensor. Without this the pump and other stuff won't work properly, its all to do with the pump timing I think.

The pic looks like the truck is getting its crankshaft position info from the P/S pump pulley, where that sensor is.

This is only conjecture, it may not be as bad as that. another thought is that the orginal crank sensor has broken, and they couldn't find it/get to it, so did that as an alternative.

But seeing as it runs so pants as well......
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers for that its certainly given me something to think about......
              I take it it would be a big ish job to sort it out?
              Just thinkin about it i meant to pop down you way earlier last year but didnt get around to it, i think ou are only a hour or so away (i'm in blandford but with the hills & truck prob more like 3!!). i know you are pretty backed up with work but would it be possible for you to have a bit of a look at it sometime & perhaps pm me with some idea on what cost i would be lookin at?

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X