thud from drive train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thud from drive train

On slowing quickly and then pulling away, bit of a thud from drive train, is this normal 1992 surf auto 2.4td

Fixed by greasing prop shaft slide joints
    Last edited by mac111; 7 May 2004, 09:33. Reason: Fixed

I get a similar noise when slowing to a stop and then pulling away. It’s as if the transmission and drive train has stored tension which once you let the brakes go is released.

I have replaced the rear anti-role bar bushes, changed the auto-box fluid plus added Slick50 treatment and still no difference.

I think its what I have always suspected that the shocks are sticking some how. They are quite old ('94, 3.0ltr auto) so I'm gonna replace them in April (cash flow probs at moment).

The only other thing I'd like to try in the drive train mounting bolts. It says in the Land cruiser maintenance manual that they should be checked for torque every 24months. Haven't done it once yet.

Does anyone have these settings for the Surf?
    Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Originally posted by Mart
      I get a similar noise when slowing to a stop and then pulling away. It’s as if the transmission and drive train has stored tension which once you let the brakes go is released.

I have replaced the rear anti-role bar bushes, changed the auto-box fluid plus added Slick50 treatment and still no difference.

I think its what I have always suspected that the shocks are sticking some how. They are quite old ('94, 3.0ltr auto) so I'm gonna replace them in April (cash flow probs at moment).

The only other thing I'd like to try in the drive train mounting bolts. It says in the Land cruiser maintenance manual that they should be checked for torque every 24months. Haven't done it once yet.

Does anyone have these settings for the Surf?
      dont waste your money on shocks unless they are worn or leaking oil, the thud is caused by play when taking up drive sharply, check all the propshaft universal joints, from front to back, also play from propshaft to gearbox, there should be slight movement here anyway, but not excessive
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

thud when comming to a stop and then releasin brakes

Are we sure this is not just normal, I drove a friends and it did the same

Comment

Originally posted by mac111
          Are we sure this is not just normal, I drove a friends and it did the same
          well mine doesnt do it, what mileage has it done
          [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
          [size=5][/size]
          [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

thud again

46k miles

Comment

It seems to me that when you pull up at the lights that the gearbox stops in 2nd gear,and then when you release the brake the thing clonks down into 1st gear,it happens on mine sometimes.

Comment

How about a worn propshaft UJ, if the car has seen some off road use and not had the UJs greased up regular then the UJs are going to go pretty quick filled with all that muddy water.

Also could be transmission or engine mounts.

Cheers

Comment

Guys,

as an additon to my earlier post.....

when I tow my caravan (24ft, 1600kg) it never happens. Which is what made me think that perhaps the shocks etc cause everything else would be the same. if there was play in the drive train surely it would still make the same thud etc and if the 2nd to 1st gear thing was happening surely it would still happen with the van.

My thoughts were around the suspension..... Without the van it rides higher in a 'normal position which is perhaps some what worn, but with the van its lower, in an unworn position, therefore no sticking etc. Probably barking up the wrong treee like a barking mad barking dog....but I am extremely keen to sort this as it kinda spoils an other wise great car!!!!!

cheers
                  Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Don't think its gearbox, auto's just don't do that, shocks maybe, its as if something gets wound up as you slow to a stop and thuds upon releasing brake. Would that be the correct description. Has anybody tried Toyota for what seems to be a common problem.

Comment

Me too

Yep, mine does this. Its the same sort of effect as if I have a sticking handbrake that releases just as I stop.

I have always put it down to the autobox dropping down into it's lowest gear. Much the same feeling is experienced if I hurry the gear lever from reverse to normal.

It's not the shocks, I have aftermarket goodies on mine and it still does it. I put it down to normal wear and tear.

While I am warbling on, is there any way to adjust the point at which the gearbox takes up the drive? There is that feeling that there is just a fraction of a second too long before the transmission engages, and that the engine is revving just that little bit too long before forward motion kicks in from a standstill.

If I could adjust something to engage the transmission quicker that would be good. Any ideas, or is it all non-adjustable?

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

it starts to drive when the fluid has enough pressure in the torque conerter to spin the drive plate (i don't know what the parts are called)
                        (pump, turbine and stator)

basically its like 2 turbine things, one spins and sucks the fluid (pump), forcing it against the other (turbine), which is the opposite way round. when it goes fast enough it turns, like a windmill.

so to what i understand there is no adjustment apart from changing to different grades of fluid.
                        Last edited by dabigman; 7 February 2004, 00:06.
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Ocasionally when I fire up the engine I get a 'thump' almost as if the engine was in gear- usually when the engine/drivetrain is warm. I've given up worrying about it now but I've always thought it was torque converter problem.

Anyone else experience this?

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                            It seems to me that when you pull up at the lights that the gearbox stops in 2nd gear,and then when you release the brake the thing clonks down into 1st gear,it happens on mine sometimes.
                            I used to get that. It's nothing like it used to be since I greased the rear driveshaft slip yoke though. Took loads of grease.
                            http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.p...threadid=18704

Comment

Thud Fixed!!!

Originally posted by Rob
                              I used to get that. It's nothing like it used to be since I greased the rear driveshaft slip yoke though. Took loads of grease.
                              http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.p...threadid=18704

Its the sliding Yoke on the Propshaft, have contacted several mates it fixed theirs as well

Grease that puppy big time!!

Comment

Working...
                              X