problems, maybe head related.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems, maybe head related.

folks, it like this, the oil level is increasing steadily, obviously this is diesel, no sign of water in the oil, plenty of smoke on start up or under heavy(ish) right foot, uses about a pint of water a day,cant see where its going tho.
    more specific ideas would be great, but any advice appreciated.
    oh and the water in the expansion bottle is always full, to the brim.
    someone told me this could syphon the water out ?
    cheers
    Last edited by firemansam1066; 22 March 2007, 22:31.

Hate to say it but it does sound like the heads gone, take it to a garage and get them to test the water in the expansion tank for exhaust gases and that will confirm it either way.
    Keep us posted.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

talkingto a mate of mine today, and he recommended something called k-seal,
      hace you heard of this?
      cheers

Comment

Originally posted by firemansam1066
        folks, it like this, the oil level is increasing steadily, obviously this is diesel, no sign of water in the oil, plenty of smoke on start up or under heavy(ish) right foot, uses about a pint of water a day,cant see where its going tho.
        more specific ideas would be great, but any advice appreciated.
        oh and the water in the expansion bottle is always full, to the brim.
        someone told me this could syphon the water out ?
        cheers

Change the rad cap as it's obviously letting coolant past too early and filling the expansion tank.

I''ve no idea why your oil level is increasing, are you sure??

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Change the rad cap as it's obviously letting coolant past too early and filling the expansion tank.

Shouldn't that be thermostat Vince cause if it's the rad cap then it will all be over the floor.You been on the wine gums or have you been nicking my pills
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

yeah i know.... bit strange, i keep checking it from cold, and the oil level is getting higher, definately.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
              Shouldn't that be thermostat Vince cause if it's the rad cap then it will all be over the floor.You been on the wine gums or have you been nicking my pills

You need the pills more than me!

The thermostat opens to allow the coolant to enter the rad and heaters, not into the expansion tank!

The rad cap has a spring in it that raises at a set pressure to allow the coolant to 'expand into the tank when hot.

Comment

You need the pills more than me!

The thermostat opens to allow the coolant to enter the rad and heaters, not into the expansion tank!
                i just realised that,but it was too late to delete it..i'll shut up and take some more...
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

The onlyt thing that could make oil level rise would be pressure in the sump,no?
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

thing is i'm checking it in the morning, i'm certain its going up the level, but the dipstick isn't being pushed out by any crankcase pressure.

Comment

if its rising, which i have never heard of before in any car, then surely after a wee bit the oil pressure light will come on>?
                      What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gazbo
                        if its rising, which i have never heard of before in any car, then surely after a wee bit the oil pressure light will come on>?
                        Not really, what you might notice is a drop i oil pressure as the oil thins. It could happen if excessive diesel is being pumped in, or of course water.

But water would normally turn the oil creamy white
                        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

I've seen oil levels rising on an old ford engine in a fishing boat....was caused by knackered/busted piston rings letting the diesel out the pot be pushed past into the sump. It got an overhaul & was fine afterwards & still running to this day.

Comment

uau! that post is from 2007,
                            one way or other sure he's got it sorted!!
                            the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Oh aye......didn't look at that bit!!! Doh.....

Comment

Working...
                              X