More grunt needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More grunt needed

Evening all. I'm on my third Hi Lux, an 04 EX and I've just purchased a twin axle caravan. On our maiden voyage at the weekend I was a bit gutted by the performance on the hills. I've only ever pulled a motorcycle trailer with a Hi Lux before and never found it wanting. I know the caravan is much heavier but I would still like a bit more go on the hills.
    Can anybody suggest a firm that "chips" or enhances the motor in any way that might give me the pull I need?
    I've e mailed Superchips several times and as yet have had no reply.
    Many thanks
    Andy

No personal experience, but a couple that might be worth looking at: www.jeremyjfearn.co.uk and www.tunit.com
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Try diesel bob, they do chipping etc.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

If you have a 2.4 the tow limit is 1500kgs. I have a 2.4 and to start with i thought it was gutless pulling my 1300kg van, but it does 50mph everywhere other than on very steep hills and it never stops.
        Chipping will murder your already poor fuel economy when towing. But if you do it let us know the results.

Paul
        French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pauleds
          If you have a 2.4 the tow limit is 1500kgs. I have a 2.4 and to start with i thought it was gutless pulling my 1300kg van, but it does 50mph everywhere other than on very steep hills and it never stops.
          Chipping will murder your already poor fuel economy when towing. But if you do it let us know the results.

Paul
          I think he's talking about a D4D pickup - different kettle of fish altogether. We get better than 30mpg from our FX and we don't hang around.
          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by nedexco
            Evening all. I'm on my third Hi Lux, an 04 EX and I've just purchased a twin axle caravan. On our maiden voyage at the weekend I was a bit gutted by the performance on the hills. I've only ever pulled a motorcycle trailer with a Hi Lux before and never found it wanting. I know the caravan is much heavier but I would still like a bit more go on the hills.
            Can anybody suggest a firm that "chips" or enhances the motor in any way that might give me the pull I need?
            I've e mailed Superchips several times and as yet have had no reply.
            Many thanks
            Andy
            Hi you could go down the road of fitting an intercooler do a search on here to find out what you need and how to fit it. I have a twin wheel caravan and went throught the same problem as you untill I fitted an intercooler a bit more power for climbing hills. Iv'e found no change on fuel but the car seems to run a lot better don't do the waste gate mod as this might blow your head gasket (happend to me)hope this helps.

Steve.
            The wheels on my Surf go round and round

Comment

Originally posted by biglift
              Hi you could go down the road of fitting an intercooler do a search on here to find out what you need and how to fit it. I have a twin wheel caravan and went throught the same problem as you untill I fitted an intercooler a bit more power for climbing hills.

What set up did you go for - c'mon - spill the beans and post some pics!
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

When TOWING you need to change the way you Drive. Its not about foot to the floor! ECT on O/D off till you get upto speed, You have to take it steady.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                  What set up did you go for - c'mon - spill the beans and post some pics!
                  I went for the easy way out side mount I did'nt want to do a body lift
                  so I copyed one of the guys idears on here (asked if it was ok first)

Steve.
                  The wheels on my Surf go round and round

Comment

Originally posted by Pauleds

Paul

chipping in this country will also void ny manufacturers warranties etc.
                    Gaz

Comment

The towing limit for my 04 Hi lux is 2700kg. I've been out with the van again this weekend and it dosent do so bad after all. We went past a couple of Ford Galaxy's towing large vans and a Freelander with a little 'un.
                      The way some of the motors are loaded though beggar belief! The guy with the Freelander was almost dragging the draw bar on the floor, and his head lights were pointing at the stars.
                      Many thanks to all for the advice but I think I'll just drop one on the hills.

Comment

Working...
                      X