Immobilised!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immobilised!

Hi all, I'm sure someone here will know about this problem.

Periodically my girl refuses to start and I'm certain it's to do with the immobiliser. Bought this car with no history or manuals, so I'm assuming there is a factory fitted basic immobiliser. There's no additional alarm system fitted, the only key is a standard old fashioned key, no blipper or anything.

A few times now (and always when most inconvenient, lol!) I get in, stick the key in as normal. The dash lights come on, radio starts, I hear the bleep for starting, turn the key and nothing. All dash lights and radio go off, it looks like the car has just died, I hear a click from somewhere within the dash and she just says 'no thanks'.

I've tried all sorts of things, getting out and locking / unlocking SOMETIMES works, but not always. Shouting, swearing and walking away for 5 minutes SOMETIMES works, but not always. The only thing that has sorted it every time is to sling some jump leads onto one of the batteries, turn it over and it's an instant start. Once started I can restart again without jump leads after 30 seconds of running, so it's definitely not a flat or sluggish battery (gauge always shows that batteries are up in the high 80% range).

It only happens after I've locked it (very rare, because I live in a very quiet place!) so it's usually in town, on a petrol forecourt or somewhere equally awkward. I'm pretty sure it's something that I'm doing with the key in the door lock, but as I don't know what I'm doing I can't stop doing it :-)

Is there a factory fitted immobiliser at work here? If so, is there a key sequence that gets it's knickers in a knot?
    Ideally if it's going to play up like this I would like to either know how to get out of it, or if there's no foolproof way, to disable it so I don't get the problem. I'm not too worried about theft, it's really old and doesn't generally do much outside our farm where it's about as safe as you can get.

Any help very welcome, thanks in advance

Anne

Could be the starter motor contacts on their way out. It's a common problem, and cheaply fixed. Can be a bit of a knuckle skinning job though!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

If its just a key [no blipper, keyfob] doubt theres an immobilser.

several things:

Starter Contacts shot and need replacing - search on here several writeups and part numbers
      I had this, if i rocked the car slightly the engine would fire up as the contacts have been engaged.

Relay sticking somewhere
      check battery contacts [maybe loose]
      Gaz

Comment

Don't lock it!

Comment

Got called out to my daughters new Megane yesterday (new to her), exactly the same symptoms, found it to be not quite in park I just moved the lever further toward the dash and away it went.
          Either just one of those things or a slightly dickey park switch.
          Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Part of the reason I've been thinking immobiliser is this. Normally when I switch it off, I hear 5 fast little bleeps and the radio displays a 'Panel' message.

When it's playing up, I either don't get these little bleeps at all, or I get them in the wrong key position (e.g. I've switched to preheat, waited for the bleep, switched to turn the starter over, seen the lights all die, release back to preheat and I hear the 5 little bleeps and see the 'Panel' message at this point. On mine, I should only hear this when I've turned the key all the way back to off. These symptoms are always related to having locked it

Does anyone know what I'm going on about (or is it all clear as mud, lol!)

It is due for a service, so I will ask the garage to look at it, but as they are not Surf experts I doubt they will be able to sort it. Last time I had them do some work on my Jag they left half the loom disconnected and gave me the best selection of error messages I've ever seen, so on auto electrics ....

Anne

Comment

Seems as though you have conflicts between the ignition, central locking module.
              Remove the plastic panel next to accellerator pedal (fuse box cover) maybe the lower dash aswell and unplug the central locking relay box (black box) then see if this cures the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by AnneinWales
                Part of the reason I've been thinking immobiliser is this. Normally when I switch it off, I hear 5 fast little bleeps and the radio displays a 'Panel' message.
                Sounds like a Sony head unit but could be wrong? Anyway, the beeps and the word Panel coming up on the stereo would be telling you to remove the facia from the stereo to stop it getting nicked.

Just a thought?
                -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

I don't know why, but I didn't read the bit about the jump leads, this sounds more like a poor battery connection, probably an earth.
                  What happens is that the connection is good enough to provide current for the low power applications such as radio and dash lights but as soon as you turn the key and it has to provide several hundred amps the connection breaks down and effectively disconnects your battery.

Hope this helps
                  Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
                    I don't know why, but I didn't read the bit about the jump leads, this sounds more like a poor battery connection, probably an earth.
                    What happens is that the connection is good enough to provide current for the low power applications such as radio and dash lights but as soon as you turn the key and it has to provide several hundred amps the connection breaks down and effectively disconnects your battery.

Hope this helps
                    i have the same trouble since changing the turbo.I disturbed the neg lead on a battery and every so often i go to start and nothing so i have to wiggle the battery lead a bit and then she fires up straight away
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I had EXACTLY the same issue. I had two new batteries put in for ££95 and it is now absolutely fine..........

My batteries looked ok too, gave good amp's out when ticking over but didn't hold a charge. I drove to manchester, went oa gig then on way home wouldn't start in the car park. Either a poor connection or just new batteries needed.

The bit about the jump start is a give away guys surely?

I bet it's that..........
                      www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof

Quote:-

"It only happens after I've locked it (very rare, because I live in a very quiet place!) so it's usually in town, on a petrol forecourt or somewhere equally awkward. I'm pretty sure it's something that I'm doing with the key in the door lock, but as I don't know what I'm doing I can't stop doing it :-)
                        "

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof
                          I had EXACTLY the same issue. I had two new batteries put in for ££95 and it is now absolutely fine..........

My batteries looked ok too, gave good amp's out when ticking over but didn't hold a charge. I drove to manchester, went oa gig then on way home wouldn't start in the car park. Either a poor connection or just new batteries needed.

If it was just a flat battery it wouldn't work again five minutes later.

Comment

Thanks everyone, helpful advice as usual on here :-)

I know it looks like batteries (once it happened on a petrol forecourt next to a car sales, I fluttered my eyelashes at the chap in there and he jump started it for me. I couldn't get him to believe it wasn't a flat battery either ). I'm sure it's not that, it literally takes seconds of jump charge, starts straight away and restarts immediately when the leads are off. It never sounds sluggish on starting, these batteries haven't given me a minutes problem.

It could be battery connection I guess, but I'm interested in the suggestion a few replies back about a conflict between ignition and central locking, that sounds scarily possible. Naturally, I can't get it to happen right now but as soon as I get it again I will try out some of the suggestions and try to isolate what it is.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                            X