Can an auto be towed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an auto be towed?

I remember reading something Bushwhacker said that went something like this "..if it's an automatic that was towed I hope the wheels were off the ground..".

This is worrying me now because i had it towed back home after the head went a couple of weeks ago.

Can they be towed or do they have to be transported?
    Vic

Originally posted by Vic1958
    I remember reading something Bushwhacker said that went something like this "..if it's an automatic that was towed I hope the wheels were off the ground..".

This is worrying me now because i had it towed back home after the head went a couple of weeks ago.

i think as long as both levers are in the N position it will be ok
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

The options are.......
      Rear wheels off the ground.

Or remove the rear propshaft.

Or on a flat bed truck.

Comment

None of those options applied when I had it towed Vince. What's the worst scenario?

Having just replaced the head I now have what sounds like big end problems. Toying with the idea of selling up and saving for a 3.0.

Have I likely done some serious damage by towing it?
        Vic

Comment

None of those options applied when I had it towed Vince. What's the worst scenario?

Having just replaced the head I now have what sounds like big end problems. Toying with the idea of selling up and saving for a 3.0.

Have I likely done some serious damage by towing it?

Depends how far really.
          Just check the condition (red wine colour) and level of the fluid when it's up and running.

Comment

Okay Vince. It was towed for just under a mile. I'll check the fluid. Thanks.
            Vic

Comment

Okay Vince. It was towed for just under a mile. I'll check the fluid. Thanks.

Under a mile?

You've nothing to worry about then!

Comment

as i posted on the general, i needed recovery yesterday, lack of oil=unhappy engine. Anyway the spec truck driver said they would never consider towing these and a full lift (slideback) was used

Comment

Originally posted by labbossrx
                  as i posted on the general, i needed recovery yesterday, lack of oil=unhappy engine. Anyway the spec truck driver said they would never consider towing these and a full lift (slideback) was used
                  on a short distance with both levers in the neutral position it should be ok.
                  Then its up to the the owner if he want's it towed or carried
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

i heard somewhere that an autos ok to be towed for a maximum of 4 miles

Comment

I thought the problem was that the autobox oil heats up and without the engine running to cool it the thing gets fried, so really wouldn't the distance you can tow one dep. upon what speed you tow it at? Mile after mile crawling in traffic shouldn't generate much heat, whereas a mile on a motorway would be bad - is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by JimSuperSix
                        I thought the problem was that the autobox oil heats up and without the engine running to cool it the thing gets fried, so really wouldn't the distance you can tow one dep. upon what speed you tow it at? Mile after mile crawling in traffic shouldn't generate much heat, whereas a mile on a motorway would be bad - is that right?

Yup!

Comment

So if I got toed from rear (rear wheels off ground) then I'd be ok?

Comment

You can tow an auto for a short distance safely as long as you do not go over 30mph
                            Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Working...
                            X