HELP!! - Can't reassemble turbo intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! - Can't reassemble turbo intake

Just putting the rocker cover back on after replacing the gasket - and the bolt second from back on the RHS just snapped off......

Cananyone tell me the size I need so I can go out and get a new one, and a tap and dye set to get the old one out...

(I've just gone round and loosened all the others just in case...)
    Last edited by MudSurfer; 17 March 2007, 18:52.
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Replaced my rocker cover gasket today. I used all new bolts and two new flanged nuts for the two studs. I used M6 X 18mm hex head automotive type bolts with the captive washer.

Nev

Comment

BTW. If you remove the rocker cover you may be able to get the broken bolt out without any drilling and such. There will be quite a bit showing if only the head snapped off. Hope you replaced all the sleeves in the new gasket.

Nev

Comment

Cheers Nev - what are you doing up this time of the day??

I've got the bolt out and replaced it - but how the h311 do you get the 'EFI' pipe back on?? I've been at it for over an hour and I still can't get it back on...

Comment

haha yah that intake pipe is a pain in the ass to get back on! Start by putting the curved end in first, and then just wiggling it like hell until you get it around the end of the boot on the turbo side. Then I just took a bit of elbow grease and a pair of pliers and pushed it into the boot. Apply hose clamps and ur done

Comment

Wow - you make it sound so easy!

I've been doing that for two hours and still can't get it on, and I don't want to mess the ends up as any debris will end up in the turbo.

I may just get some more flexible hose this week and leave it till another day

Comment

Dribble (ooo, errr) a little engine oil over the mating surfaces.

Assemble the RHS first. No clips tightened (but they must be on!)

Put the rubber pipe on the turbo.

Raise the rubber pipe up to meet the EFI tube as you lower them together.

Get a screw driver and wiggle out the piece of hose that's got bent inside.
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                Dribble (ooo, errr) a little engine oil over the mating surfaces.

Assemble the RHS first. No clips tightened (but they must be on!)

Put the rubber pipe on the turbo.

Raise the rubber pipe up to meet the EFI tube as you lower them together.

Get a screw driver and wiggle out the piece of hose that's got bent inside.
                lawer ddiolch - I'll give a try in the morning...

Good result on the rugby tonight!!!

Do you still need the CV boots - I can only find two outers at the mo - no idea what happened to the other inner....
                Last edited by MudSurfer; 18 March 2007, 00:41.

Comment

Don't be afraid to go bat$$$$ insane on the thing. When I was trying to get mine back on I was practicly screaming and swearing at it before it finally moved onto the boot and then I could get a pair of pliers into there to pull the last bit over..

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
                    Cheers Nev - what are you doing up this time of the day??
                    Just got home. Went out for a few drinks and probably won't be able to sleep now.

Originally posted by MudSurfer
                    I've got the bolt out and replaced it - but how the h311 do you get the 'EFI' pipe back on?? I've been at it for over an hour and I still can't get it back on...
                    Swearing helps . I removed the hose on turbo end put it on the pipe and pushed on as far as it would go then pushed pipe into throttle end hose and then pushed hose toward rear of engine over the turbo end.

Nev

Comment

told you it was a pain changed a bit of my hose for silicone now and its much easier as its so flexy but now I have to bea careful not to teat it on sharp edges.
                      got more silicone pipe here if anyone wants a short bit.
                      Tim
                      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                        told you it was a pain changed a bit of my hose for silicone now and its much easier as its so flexy but now I have to bea careful not to teat it on sharp edges.
                        got more silicone pipe here if anyone wants a short bit.
                        Has it got a nipple on it then. HeHe
                        If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Update

Right - just did it in 20 mins....

move the clips on the turbo end to as far left as you can.
                          take the hose off the throttle end (leaving clips on the intake pipe and the throttle end)
                          take the hose off the throttle end of the intake pipe
                          push the intake pipe onto the turbo end, leaving the clips off the hose, but pushed to the left
                          put the hose up to the throttle end, and the other end of the intake pipe
                          push the intake pipe towards the throttle end and it just slips on
                          reconnect clips
                          (screw down bolts on rocker cover to stop excess oil seeping out when you test drive afterwards, top up the oil, drive again and marvel at how quiet it all is with 15W/40 instead of 5W/30)

Job done, now time for last nights Chinese....

Comment

Working...
                          X