Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New head in - now knocking

Thank god the site's up again.

After all the usual signs of a blown head over a few months (hard to start - slight but steady water loss - lots of smoke, mainly white) I fitted a brand new upgraded one.

When I drained the sump a litre of water came out before the old oil.

Anyway, put everything back where it should be and fired her up. She started first time. left her running for about a minute then noticed water dripping from turbo gasket. switched off and replaced the turbo gasket.

Fired her up the second time - turbo was fine but now there was a loud metallic knocking sound.

Left her running for 2 minutes while locating the sound - coming from bottom end. Switched off and haven't touched her since.

Rushed to the computer to ask you guys for help and found the site down

Please help.

Vic
    Vic

I know you may not want to hear this but i had the same problem. Loud knocking coming from number 1. Damage report ... number 4 bigend spun bearing, number 1 piston showing signs of seizure and skirt, inline with gudgeon pin badly worn causing piston slap. I bought this vehicle blind with no history so it has all been a bit of an adventure if you can call it that! Anyway i purchased another engine from a damged surf stripped it to inspect , all new gaskets had been fitted, head had pitting on 4 and 1 bottom end mains been ground 0.25 bigends 0.50 and number 1 showing signs of high points in shell, rest did not look run in. Rod removed and showing signs that it had spun a bearing in the past so fitted one of my good rods and new bigend shells.... engine back in all assembled bar putting my head back on (did not like the look of the pitting on the other head)Hopefully get it started saturday and see what happens! When it is up and running i am thinking about selling my 1st gen with 2.4lt engine which has not missed a beat in 5 years ...... not too sure now!! Is your head gasket the correct thickness?

Comment

Just a thought check the front crankshaft pulley

Comment

definitely an adventure Fenman - $$$$$$ expensive one. Just can't seem to give up on them though can we?

I'm no expert, so some of the stuff you were saying went over my head - I'm dropping the sump at the weekend - will that be the place to look first do you think? Crankshaft, bearings and shells etc.

I did not know head gaskets had different thicknesses. I got the gasket from Wilco's saying it was for a 2L TE. It's possible the gasket could be wrong.

Where to start!!!
        Vic

Comment

Crankshaft pulley - will do. Thanks Fenman
          Vic

Comment

Just realised you're in Norfolk - should have guessed by the username. Whereabouts?
            Vic

Comment

Halfway between lynn and wisbech on the 47

Comment

fen, can you tell me, should the engine block have been drained before fitting the head? also i just sent you a PM.
                Vic

Comment

I would of thought if headgasket was wrong it would of knocked from the start......3 different thickness gaskets, though generally most people supply the thickest.. its all to do with piston protusion from top of the block. Like i said i bought the surf seized ...got it free and it started and ran sweet and if it had not had the knock would probably had run it not knowing no4 bigend shells had spun as oil pressure was good though its life would of been short . It did give me a chance to run it down the road and check everything else was ok though.I have heard a lot of people say that the water passages block up with sludge but i took the oil cooler manifolds off the blocks on both engines and they were both sludge free.They were a pain to remove soon realized the adaptor that the oilfilter screws onto has to be removed but after half an hour of gentle tapping found a hidden bolt down the middle of where the adaptor screws out and the manifold just fell off ....surfs ....i love em

Comment

Originally posted by Vic1958
                    Thank god the site's up again.

After all the usual signs of a blown head over a few months (hard to start - slight but steady water loss - lots of smoke, mainly white) I fitted a brand new upgraded one.

When I drained the sump a litre of water came out before the old oil.

Anyway, put everything back where it should be and fired her up. She started first time. left her running for about a minute then noticed water dripping from turbo gasket. switched off and replaced the turbo gasket.

Fired her up the second time - turbo was fine but now there was a loud metallic knocking sound.

Left her running for 2 minutes while locating the sound - coming from bottom end. Switched off and haven't touched her since.

Rushed to the computer to ask you guys for help and found the site down

Please help.

Vic
                    Hi

When you put her back together did you make sure she was timmed up right ? Some times the valves might catch the top of the pistons the sound could travel throught the pistons making it come from the bottom end?
                    The wheels on my Surf go round and round

Comment

Thanks Biglift - I'll check that out with the mechanic. I hope he knows!!
                      Vic

Comment

No probs hope you get it sorted just make sure that all the timing marks line up perfectly little ajustment might have to be made to the cam/crank/fuel pump to get them to line up even if you are 1 tooth out it can make all the differance.

Steve.
                        The wheels on my Surf go round and round

Comment

Working...
                        X