Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newby here!

hi folks

i am going to be buying a 2.4 manual hi lux surf J reg. can anyone advise what to look out for when checking this over. I have also seen a lot on the forum about the heads going can anyone tell me when these need to be replaced and if there is anything i should look out for when looking over the car. Is it costly to replace them? any tips would be greatly received. i am going to be using this as a tow car.

one last thing what is the average mpg with these?

thanks

tam

Hi and welcome,
    1st. The heads can go if they overheat, but so can the 3 litre's too.
    Maintenance is everything, check and clean the cooling system thoroughly.
    It is not a fore gone conclusion that the head will go, check the for sale on this forum, at least you will know the history, and chances are the head will have been changed for a uprated one.

2nd, check that everything works, including all electrics, especially the rear window, and 4wd.

3rd, my average mpg before my head went was 22mpg.
    Yes heads are expensive to replace, if you get a garage to do it you won't get much change from £1400.00.

Hope this helps.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Hi matey welcome to the forum.

I don't want to be doom and gloomy but if you got a 1991 like mine I'd expect the head to go unless it's been changed already, they had a fault at manufacturing stage. The trucks are a hellufa lot of kit for little cash outlay if you bought same spec over here you'd be talking thousands more. My head went but for around £1,250 I got an uprated one done by Stevo in StockportI'm dead chuffed with it. Now the engines gone, probably was due to original head problem.

The header tank should not need topping up check it every day and check the rad filler to ensure it's full. header tank works on a syphon system temp will go up if your towing for long periods up hill if the things starting to crack up.

Hey if it happens it happens enjoy it and don't be disappointed if it goes. Just be ready. Some guys are lucky and get 100000s KMs without problems but they are bad for it. The new heads are great and according to the lads on here are pretty bullet proof.

If it overheats it's probably telling you it's knacked.
      Have fun and stick with it Cheers JB
      www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Working...
      X