coolant loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant loss

hi guys wonder if anyone has had this problem and what the cause/solution is.
    i started my surf up five minutes before i left work tonight as per usual, its only about a 4 mile drive home and everything was fine till i pulled into my street and heard a gurgling sound coming from the passenger footwell area.
    after reversing into my parking space i saw a trail of what i thought to be atf fluid,but on closer inspection its coolant.the temperature gauge reads fine (bang on centre as usual) ive lost warm air from heater..prob due to low coolant, but the coolant appears to be blowing out the pipe coming out of the expansion tank near the nearside of the radiator. it appears to burp and gurgle then chuck out frothy red coolant every ten or so seconds.the coolant cap appears fine and fairly cold to the touch with no leaks. could this be a sticking thermostat or something worse??! thing is i just spent £400 on tyres and new glow plugs and it was running beautifull!! any help much appreciated, head and timing belt was done 18 months ago, but not sure if it was the modded head (id just bought it with the receipts) cheers guys
    DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Definitely sounds like the thermostat is stuck shut.

Comment

For what it costs, chuck a new rad cap and thermostat in it. Chances are it's one of those.

Comment

cheers guys i hope so lol.
        any ideas on where to get a genuine cap from?. i been looking at rough trax for a genuine thermostat,i assume that will be good enough but cant find gen cap!
        DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Originally posted by WARRIOR72
          any ideas on where to get a genuine cap from?. i been looking at rough trax for a genuine thermostat,i assume that will be good enough but cant find gen cap!
          any motor factors will do them

Comment

i just got mine from roughtrax aswell as the thermostat,just seemed piontless paying p&p for one item so i ordered a few smaller bits an Barry logged them altogether to make p&p cheaper
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

hi guys wonder if anyone has had this problem and what the cause/solution is.
              i started my surf up five minutes before i left work tonight as per usual, its only about a 4 mile drive home and everything was fine till i pulled into my street and heard a gurgling sound coming from the passenger footwell area.
              after reversing into my parking space i saw a trail of what i thought to be atf fluid,but on closer inspection its coolant.the temperature gauge reads fine (bang on centre as usual) ive lost warm air from heater..prob due to low coolant, but the coolant appears to be blowing out the pipe coming out of the expansion tank near the nearside of the radiator. it appears to burp and gurgle then chuck out frothy red coolant every ten or so seconds.the coolant cap appears fine and fairly cold to the touch with no leaks. could this be a sticking thermostat or something worse??! thing is i just spent £400 on tyres and new glow plugs and it was running beautifull!! any help much appreciated, head and timing belt was done 18 months ago, but not sure if it was the modded head (id just bought it with the receipts) cheers guys
              Hi
              I am going to be honest with you your head gasket has gone mine did the same as your just got mine back on the road I replaced the gasket my self took me about 2 days by the time all the stuff arrived and I got the head checked out to see if it needed replaceing i bought the gasket from roughtrax plus a set of head bolts (£77) doing the job is'nt hard get someone to help you if you can, remember there is always someone on here that can give advice if you get stuck.

Steve
              The wheels on my Surf go round and round

Comment

any ideas on where to get a genuine cap from?
                Hmm. Toyota dealer, by any chance?

Comment

Same problem

I have/had exactly the same problem. I say had because the problem started last summer(outside temp in the low 30's) but by late fall until now i've had no problems(outside temp 0 to -15).
                  Cold weather can't cure a head gasket problem, or can it?
                  Plus people say if the head gasket is cracked then coolant will get into the oil. Changed the oil...just clean oil, no milkshake.
                  Summer is just around the corner and i'm worried if i'm gonna have the same problem again.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by goms
                    Any thoughts?
                    Yup. Follow the advice given above.

BTW, a head problem won't always put coolant into the oil. If you have any head worries, only way to make sure is a pressure test, but try the rad cap and 'stat first.

Comment

Originally posted by goms
                      Cold weather can't cure a head gasket problem, or can it?

Any thoughts?
                      It can if you have a plugged rad or dodgy viscous fan, if the cooling sustem is not working at 100%, it'll get worse as the ambiant temp increases. and 0 outside, it can handle engine temps, add 30 deg outside temps to equasion, and it can't keep up.

But that aside, any 2.4 that overheats and still has its original head on is 99.999999% times gonna have cracked it.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                      X