Gearbox.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox.

Hi,can anyone advise? When I come to a stop in my 2.4td auto surf the gears do not seem to drop back to first as when I pull away there is a distinct clunk as it drops into first then everything is fine working its way back up and down the box until stopping again and I get same problem.

Low or burnt (old) transmission fluid.

Comment

Are you putting it in N or P when stopped, or do you keep your foot on the brakes till you pull away? If so it may be just slack in the driveline, its under pressure from the gearbox being in D, and your holding the brakes on so its all preloaded still till you pull away.
      Try putting it in N or P when idling, see if it makes any difference.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Gearbox

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Not low level, unsure when it was changed last. I'll replace this first and see what happens. Is it right you refill via ATF dipstick tube in engine bay?

Comment

Yup, and you check level with engine running, in case you didn't know.

Comment

Gearbox.

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Oil level seems to be ok. Not sure when it was changed last. I'll try this first and see what happens. Is it right that you refill via ATF dipstick tube in engine bay using smal funnel, seems a strange way to refill a gearbox!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Toy
              Oil level seems to be ok. Not sure when it was changed last. I'll try this first and see what happens. Is it right that you refill via ATF dipstick tube in engine bay using smal funnel, seems a strange way to refill a gearbox!!!!!

I said yes!

Comment

Mine very rarely takes 1st, unless i put it there, if its in drive it almost always pulls away in 2nd. I had grown to think it was normal, as it still drove fine.

Is it not? The ATF is new. Or have i missed the point, if i manually change the lever from D or 2 down to L you feel it drop another gear.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

LOL, steady on Bush
                  www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

Comment

Originally posted by Big Toy
                    Hi,can anyone advise? When I come to a stop in my 2.4td auto surf the gears do not seem to drop back to first as when I pull away there is a distinct clunk as it drops into first then everything is fine working its way back up and down the box until stopping again and I get same problem.
                    I have a similar problem, I found that if I take my foot of the brake a fraction before the surf halts completely then re-apply the brakes then it doesnt happen. When it does happen, the gear levers move around so it has to be something to do with the gearbox actually moving slightly as it takes up drive. Keep meaning to check gearbox mounts but havent got round to it yet.
                    My karma ran over my dogma ..
                    Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X