Found answer to smoke and poor running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found answer to smoke and poor running

After months of messing around with new injectors "and very nice ones they are too," thanks Bob no complaints there. I now firmly believe that the Surf has not done 60k or even 160k miles and that whoever imported the dam thing has put on new pedal rubbers etc or even a new interior etc to give the impression of 60k miles. The injectors were worn to hell and back this would not have been possible with such low mileage.

I tried the timming which was spot on. The EGR valve was replaced £280s ouch and fuel pump etc checked turns our the engine is worn out and fit for the knackers yard.

Alas having had a new head fitted when I bought the thing I have decided to send the truck back down to Stockport and have the bottom end replaced.

If I bin the Surf I would have just spent the last 2 years throwing cash at it for nothing at least this way I am guaranteed a new engine.

So thanks Stevo for taking the job on I hope the fuel pump holds out until I recover from the engine replacement "which by the way is very reasonable."

Maybe the 2.4 is just not man enough for the 2.5 tonnes is has to horse around.

Will let you know how I get on.

Moral of the story is before ye throw shed loads of cash at the thing check the compression which needs to be even on all 4 cylinders.

www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Hi John,

Though I live in South Wales, I was on Arran on the Sunday before a bank holiday Monday when my head give up the ghost!

That was 4 years ago -135000kms later and me and the truck are still together - how lovely!

Stick with it John, 'The Sun will come out Tomorrow'
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Hi Andrew

The things spent most of it's time with me off road only that didn't involve getting it muddy.

I keep telling myself it will stop breaking down. Anyway wifes had enough and now refuses to sit in it anymore so I splashed out and bought her a Nissan Micra 1988 model instead so she's dead chuffed and I get to fly to Manchester again and drive Surf home with new engine I won't be giving up me RAC membership for a while though.

Cheers JB

Comment

How strange,

My ex missus used to drive an old Micra - she loved that - and now she and me are no more!

Just a thought

ps - we also hated each other (I think that was in the mix)
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Really?

but you're such a lovely boyo!!

Comment

I had a thought today about transplanting a 2.8 short block but alas they don't fit so will have to make do with a new 2.4 and stay in the slow lane.

The EFI is different to the 2.8lt.

Comment

Working...
            X