Oil pressure and rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure and rattle

Driving to work this morning and a nasty rattle developed that, as I was driving, seemed to be coming from right in front of me in the engine compartment (right where the turbo is). At the same time, my oil pressure was quite low. I've since added oil, but the rattle remains. Can't see/find any loose bits that would cause the rattle and the noise speeds up/slows down when I give it gas.

Bottom line question is: Is it likely that the rattle and low oil pressure are related and, is my turbo f***ed??

Originally posted by ianmel
    Driving to work this morning and a nasty rattle developed that, as I was driving, seemed to be coming from right in front of me in the engine compartment (right where the turbo is). At the same time, my oil pressure was quite low. I've since added oil, but the rattle remains. Can't see/find any loose bits that would cause the rattle and the noise speeds up/slows down when I give it gas.

Bottom line question is: Is it likely that the rattle and low oil pressure are related and, is my turbo f***ed??
    It does sound like your turbo to if the oil pressure was down.The same happened to mine
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
      It does sound like your turbo to if the oil pressure was down.The same happened to mine
      And mine, think thats what caused the bottom end to go even though I put a new turbo on, damage was already done.
      If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by gary16163
        And mine, think thats what caused the bottom end to go even though I put a new turbo on, damage was already done.
        don't tell me that Gary

Comment

don't tell me that Gary
          Sorry mate. maybe I was just unlucky
          If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Can you hear me weeping from across the ocean??

Any advice on a source for a reconditioned turbo? I've ordered parts from England before and had my uncle ship them over here.

Comment

Any advice on a source for a reconditioned turbo? I've ordered parts from England before and had my uncle ship them over here.
              hi Ian try this guy as he has 2 or 3 surfs in at the mo
              http://www.equicar.co.uk/
              Last edited by Koi; 7 April 2014, 20:29.

Comment

try turbotechics , looking around for someone to refurb mine at the moment
                Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Much more complicated now. Tried limping the beast home, but about 3 miles out she overheated and died on me. I'm assuming the two issues are related although I don't know how??

Comment

Much more complicated now. Tried limping the beast home, but about 3 miles out she overheated and died on me. I'm assuming the two issues are related although I don't know how??
                    that sounds the same as what Gary16163 had after Salisbury at xmas and he had to replace the turbo and head on his.

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                      try turbotechics , looking around for someone to refurb mine at the moment
                      Hey Dave if you find someone reasonable let me know as i want to refurb my old turbo unless anyone knows where to get the bearings for it

Comment

Hey Dave if you find someone reasonable let me know as i want to refurb my old turbo unless anyone knows where to get the bearings for it
                        01604705050 turbo technics , going to get mine picked up tomorrow,
                        thought about the secondhand route but if i can get it sorted for the same type of money or a bit more would prefer to get it refurbed,
                        it all depends on the damage to your turbo as to the cost ,
                        spoke to a fella called richard [wasnt you was it ?? ]
                        tell him you saw hes company @ name on hilux surf site
                        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                          01604705050 turbo technics , going to get mine picked up tomorrow,
                          thought about the secondhand route but if i can get it sorted for the same type of money or a bit more would prefer to get it refurbed,
                          it all depends on the damage to your turbo as to the cost ,
                          spoke to a fella called richard [wasnt you was it ?? ]
                          tell him you saw hes company @ name on hilux surf site
                          Thanks Dave

Comment

why would it overheat and die?
                            is it that the turbo is buggered and not letting the exhaust gas out, which then makes the engine do more work to try and push it out. and the gas build up makes it overheat? if this happend then a great noticeable loss of power would of occurred....

how is the oil pump driven on these? the rattling could be the water pump? and may be thats why its overheated because the water isnt being pumped around???
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I should clarify, it stalled on me as I was on the go (and shortly after putting it in 4WD), I restarted, went another 200 yards, then the temp. started shooting up, I put the heating on full blast, it kept going up, so I stopped immediately. It will start, but I don't know what damage has been done. The rattle (almost more of a rhythmic clanging) is still very much there. It didn't seem to lose too much coolant, just a little from the overflow, but it was definitely boiling.

All this started after a full day of driving in 4wd through heavy snow and on icy highways (was thinking after I got home that day how well it had performed!). I think I must have burned a bunch of oil, hence the pressure drop. I normally keep a watch on the gauge, but I didn't notice it that day.

I'm no mechanic, so I think i may be screwed.

Comment

Working...
                              X