Turbo Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Light

Hi Guys, can anyone tell me if the green turbo light on the dash is either triggered by the ECU or direcly from a turbo pressure sensor located somewhere in the engine bay, and is there a switched live between the turbo and the light that i could splice into to operate a relay?
    My karma ran over my dogma ..
    Paul

Originally posted by Billy-No-Money
    Hi Guys, can anyone tell me if the green turbo light on the dash is either triggered by the ECU or direcly from a turbo pressure sensor located somewhere in the engine bay, and is there a switched live between the turbo and the light that i could splice into to operate a relay?
    So, erm, that'll be 'no' then?
    Paul

Comment

Why do you need to know?

Comment

The pressure sensor activates the light, it's bolted to the passenger side, inner wing between the air cleaner and the power steering fluid reservior.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          The pressure sensor activates the light, it's bolted to the passenger side, inner wing between the air cleaner and the power steering fluid reservior.
          And thats got a switched live that directly puts the light on and doesnt just signal the ECU?
          Paul

Comment

And thats got a switched live that directly puts the light on and doesnt just signal the ECU?
            No idea! I am curious as to what you want the relay to do.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
              No idea! I am curious as to what you want the relay to do.

Nev
              Ok, heres the plan. I intend to fit an intercooler with fan assist. I dont need the fan to run all the time, particularly at speed when there's adequate airflow through the scoop ( and once Ive reached cruising speed and backed off the throttle,the turbo light goes out anyway until I hit a hill or overtake) From what Ive read on various sites, the most efficient intercoolers are fitted with an 'intelligent' water spray which figures out when to give optimun cooling, generally just prior to maximun boost. Sadly, they are hellish expensive and well beyond my means so I intent to wire the intercooler fan to a relay swiched by the signal that feeds the turbo light. It may not make masses of difference but if the vehicle has been moving slowly (traffic etc), then the intercooler will probably be close to the ambient underbonnet temperature and not doing a lot of cooling. With the fan in place, theoretically when I floor the pedal to move off or overtake then the fan will kick in to assist cooling as soon as the turbo pressure builds. Yes, I know the cooler should be pre-cooled prior to max tubo pressure, but a fan assist on the cooler as the turbo starts to work has to be an improvement on no airflow at all.
              Paul

Comment

Sounds like a good modification but.....................do you really need the benefits of an intercooled intake when stationary?

Intercoolers basically provide more torque rather than 'get up and go' horsepower, good for when overtaking 'cos you're already getting cooled airflow into the engine, but not so helpful when at standstill or slow moving traffic. (fit bonnet vents to help expell hot air in that situation.)

Comment

Sounds like a good modification but.....................do you really need the benefits of an intercooled intake when stationary?

Intercoolers basically provide more torque rather than 'get up and go' horsepower, good for when overtaking 'cos you're already getting cooled airflow into the engine, but not so helpful when at standstill or slow moving traffic. (fit bonnet vents to help expell hot air in that situation.)

(250085568143)

Dont Know if that link will work, never tried to put one in before, but thats what I just won on ebay. I realise that any intercooling is redundant when stationary, but heat transfer to still air is poor at best, and to warm still air its almost none existent, so if Im stationary or slow moving for any length of time then the intercooler rad is going to get hot just from being where it is. When I then start to move Im going to have to gain speed and hold it for long enough before the airflow through the scoop lowers the temperature of the cooler rad. All i expect the fan to do is help reduce the speed and time required to lower the rad temperature so that it can do its job. If its a nightmare to wire in then, for the benefits I'll gain, I wont bother. But if I can trigger the relay simply by tapping into the pressure sensor sender then I reckon its got to be worth a try.
                  Last edited by Billy-No-Money; 24 February 2007, 17:10.
                  Paul

Comment

Cool!
                    Will be interesting to know what it's like when set-up.

The link works fine by the way.

Comment

Cool!
                      Will be interesting to know what it's like when set-up.

The link works fine by the way.
                      Ive edited the link out and replaced it with just a pic as the link seemed to log any viewers into 'my ebay'
                      Paul

Comment

This sounds interesting, post some pix's of the build up etc when you can,intercoolers my next plan'd job and i've been thinking about adding fans to help it cool, i understand what Vince is saying about slow traffic etc but i'd still like to ba able to feed it cool air, i'm looking at makeing a sort of plate to fit under the cooler, hopefully as air enters the scoop it will pass through the cooler and be deflected to the rear of the engine bay, this plate will also help deflect heat from the engine and also rainwater as well, need to aquire some panel beating skills, (or maybe my son in law, as he used to do it)
                        Regarding switching the fans i was thinking along the lines of a temp sender attached to the cooler body, i'll be picking MattF's brains on that one
                        Last edited by POPEYE; 24 February 2007, 19:03.
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                          Regarding switching the fans i was thinking along the lines of a temp sender attached to the cooler body, i'll be picking MattF's brains on that one
                          Thats something I thought about last night, its just knowing how cool it should be running and what temperature to have the fan switched at. I'll post the conversion when its done for anyone who might be intersted.
                          Paul

Comment

Thats something I thought about last night, its just knowing how cool it should be running and what temperature to have the fan switched at. I'll post the conversion when its done for anyone who might be intersted.
                            Maybe you could wire a potentiometer into it so you can adjust the cut in temp, much the same as an temp adjustable fan heater works
                            If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by gary16163
                              Maybe you could wire a potentiometer into it so you can adjust the cut in temp, much the same as an temp adjustable fan heater works
                              That would also require a full sensor/controller affair, and if they have that, it would most likely be adjustable on the controller anyhow.
                              Last edited by MattF; 27 February 2007, 14:14.

Comment

Working...
                              X