hot engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot engine

I was told by a friend to get a new fan a while ago before I wrecked the water pump bearings because a few of the blades had broken, I didnt pay attention.

i noticed last week that the front of the engine was rattling a bit and every now and then for the past year a greeny oil leaks out.

I leant my car to a mate this week and he drove it to me, coincidentaly as he parked up I noticed that the green oil was gushing out, the engine steaming and when I turned the key on (not turned the engine over) the temp gauge was well in the red.

I opened the bonnet and let it cool down and am now waiting for a mechanic to look at it.

Was my friend right, is my water pump knackered and how much to fix it

The jouirney my mate took wasnt long, only 5 minutes and he was only using it to go back and forth from work which is only a couple of miles from his house.

How much damage has he done ? He said the engine wasnt making any odd noises other than the rattling when first turned on

Any help greatly appreciated

Originally posted by rossle
    I was told by a friend to get a new fan a while ago before I wrecked the water pump bearings because a few of the blades had broken, I didnt pay attention.

i noticed last week that the front of the engine was rattling a bit and every now and then for the past year a greeny oil leaks out.

I leant my car to a mate this week and he drove it to me, coincidentaly as he parked up I noticed that the green oil was gushing out, the engine steaming and when I turned the key on (not turned the engine over) the temp gauge was well in the red.

I opened the bonnet and let it cool down and am now waiting for a mechanic to look at it.

Was my friend right, is my water pump knackered and how much to fix it

The jouirney my mate took wasnt long, only 5 minutes and he was only using it to go back and forth from work which is only a couple of miles from his house.

How much damage has he done ? He said the engine wasnt making any odd noises other than the rattling when first turned on

Any help greatly appreciated

He hasn't done the damage. If you're extremely lucky, and I really do mean miracle type extremely lucky, it may be the pump alone. Prepare for replacing the head, however.
    Last edited by MattF; 18 February 2007, 23:25.

Comment

what sort of money to replace both ?

If I do have to replace both should I look at doing any other sort of maintenance while the bits are out

Comment

Originally posted by rossle
        what sort of money to replace both ?

If I do have to replace both should I look at doing any other sort of maintenance while the bits are out
        Lots!

A water pump will cost about £30 from milners or roughtrax, god only knows what a fan would cost, and a head is the best part of £800 from stevo.

If you are stripping the motor down replace the thermostat and rad cap, and all the belts as well, it so easy whilst it's all in bits, if the head has gone stevo will provide a head with all the bolts, gaskets and a new timing belt.

If you have been lucky it might be worth replacing the timing belt as well, you've got to take off the timing cover to get to the water pump.
        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

My mecahnic is gonna change the water pump and one of the melts, fan I think and hopefully the head hasnt gone, we will find out when the new pump is fitted and I drive it again

Will it be safe to drive as is or might it cause more damage than its worth

Comment

Your mechanic can test the coolant to see if the head/head gaskit is gone, my head cracked ( on inspection there were cracks on every valve seat, so had been on its way out for a long time) and by the time The mech had replaced the head, (from Stevo....£800.00 incl. cam belt all gaskits and new stretch bolts) replaced cam belt tensioner and idler, new oil & filter, coolent I think the final bill was in excess of £1400.00.

Then add in the cost of new tyres ( £360.00) new springs and shocks & steering damper (£300.00 fitted) new rear window motor ( £35.00) New crank pulley ( £110.00) and now the latest thing is worn steering idler and track rod end ( costs still to be confirmed) The old surfs can work out to be an expensive vehicle to maintain.

Having said that my surf had obviously been previously owned by Ebeneezer Scrooge ( as many cars often are) and if timely mainenance had been carried out then it would have been in much better condition when I bought it.

If you do the maintenance as it arises then these vehicles should run for 40 or 50 years (look at some of the old Land Cruisers) which make them very environmentaly friendly compared to most modern vehicles!

I rest my case Me Lud!!
            Last edited by plumb bob; 20 February 2007, 01:35.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
            X