oil cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil cooling

Just spent the night at work reading all the threads i could find on this subject, but the question I need answering is this one. Im planning on towing a van so , having an auto box , do I NEED to fit an extra cooler? once towed with a 2 litre Granada that had an auto box and I had to fit one on that as it blew the transmission oil seal due to the higher temperature and therefore lower viscosity of the ATF. Has anyone out there suffered this?
    My karma ran over my dogma ..
    Paul

A few caravaners on here have had overheating issues in the past, but were rectified by fitting an additional transmission oil cooler.
    See here.......

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/oilcooler.htm

Remember, if your transmission fluid gets too hot, that heat will be transfered to the engine coolant, not good!

Comment

is there ANYTHING you dont know lol? Thanks again for that. BTW, what size/row cooler was it, and was it the biggest you could fit or just big enough for what you needed?
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Billy-No-Money
        is there ANYTHING you dont know lol? Thanks again for that. BTW, what size/row cooler was it, and was it the biggest you could fit or just big enough for what you needed?

That's not mine, it's Tims (dirtydog)
        He used a RangeRover cooler I believe.

See diagram of how to install....

Comment

that diagrams a little hard to see but it looks as though the oil hits the secondary cooler on it way back to the auto box. Am I reading it right? I would have thought it made more sense to have the oil temp as low as poss before it got to the engine coolant by fitting in line before the rad
          Paul

Comment

Yeah you're right, don't copy that drawing, it's cr4p!

Comment

I run mine direct now without the rad cooler at all. still need to wire up the temp gauge though to see how hot or not its running.

cooler was from a P38 rangie
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                I run mine direct now without the rad cooler at all. still need to wire up the temp gauge though to see how hot or not its running.

cooler was from a P38 rangie
                I havent got a ATF temp gauge. Was it ever fitted O/E or did you get an aftermarket auxiliary gauge? and where did you fit the sensor?
                Paul

Comment

You will, like everyone else, pretend that I've never posted this advice, , but I would suggest fitting a thermostatic valve for the extra cooler and keeping the flow through the rad cooler as well.

Gauges are after market, BTW.

Comment

yeha the gauge is aftermarket and I havent found anywhere decent to put the sensor yet. ill hopefully get one made.
                    Tim
                    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

i run a seperate oil cooler bolted to the front xmember.underneath the bumper.works really well,and because its not attached to the rad,the oil temp remains cooler,
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        You will, like everyone else, pretend that I've never posted this advice, , but I would suggest fitting a thermostatic valve for the extra cooler and keeping the flow through the rad cooler as well.

You have a warning light for overheat on the dash.

I generally run them through the rad after the aux cooler, this way you won't overcool it, it'll go back into the box' at it optimum designed temp, but with the small aux cooler first it won't heat up the coolant to much by the time it gets to the rad.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                          You have a warning light for overheat on the dash.
                          That's not so much a temp gauge though, more of a pull over for twenty minutes 'cos you're screwed gauge.

Originally posted by TonyN
                          I generally run them through the rad after the aux cooler, this way you won't overcool it, it'll go back into the box' at it optimum designed temp, but with the small aux cooler first it won't heat up the coolant to much by the time it gets to the rad.

I keep saying that, but no one ever listens to little old me.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF

I nearly went down that road with the granada but it was too fddly so I plumbed it straight in after the rad cooler. When I wasnt towing with it I got a noticably better return on fuel and the gearbox performed better as well. Has any one thats done this to thier surf found the same?
                            Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X