Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage to worried Hilux owner... - "It has quite a bad oil leak....."

From the engine.

Garage said they need to steam the engine and locate an oil leak source.

Anyone here know anything about this? Any possible causes... Any clue how much they will charge me?

I only deal with the receptionist at the garage and I don't think she knows a great deal.... .

The guy I bought it off said the cylinder head cracked in 4 places just after he had it imported (something about Japanese antifreeze...?) but he said the garage he bought it off replaced it free of charge as it had a three month after sales warranty.

Any ideas guys........ Should I worry?

Jon.
    www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

If you can find out where exactly the oil leak is coming from, we may be able to give you an idea of work involved and costs ect.

Comment

Hiya mate.

The leak is from somewhere on the top of the engine.

I know for a fact it had a new head and cam replaced in June last year after the original head failed - cracked in four places due to Japanese / UK Antifreeze conflict - does that sound plausable?)....

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof
        Hiya mate.

The leak is from somewhere on the top of the engine.

I know for a fact it had a new head and cam replaced in June last year after the original head failed - cracked in four places due to Japanese / UK Antifreeze conflict - does that sound plausable?)....

Yeah, the British/Japanese anti-freeze products were causing problems, especially they were mixed together or the cooling systems weren't flushed thoroughly and replenished when trucks first came into the country.

Off the top of my head, the only reason I can think of that would cause an oil leak from the top of the engine, is that the cylinder head bolts weren't torqued down correctly when the head was changed, or the head bolts were not re-newed, as they are stretch bolts.
        Also, it could just be leaking from the valve cover (rocker cover) on top of the engine or from a loosely fitting breather hose.

Comment

ok great. That doesn't sound too serious then :o).

I am going to quote that when I go in, should be impressive LOL!!!!

By the way, I just made some enquiries and the person I bought it off got it from a local dealer (car - not Skunk) and so I called him. He remembers selling the car and he remembers having to replace a cracked head. During that job he is 99% sure the cam belt was replaced too. Does that sound about right? If you replace a head does the cam belt normally get replaced at the same time too?

Thanks for the help so far by the way, this site is brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof
            ok great. That doesn't sound too serious then :o).

I am going to quote that when I go in, should be impressive LOL!!!!

By the way, I just made some enquiries and the person I bought it off got it from a local dealer (car - not Skunk) and so I called him. He remembers selling the car and he remembers having to replace a cracked head. During that job he is 99% sure the cam belt was replaced too. Does that sound about right? If you replace a head does the cam belt normally get replaced at the same time too?

Thanks for the help so far by the way, this site is brilliant.
            Whenever the cylinder head needs to be removed for whatever reason, it would be daft NOT to replace the belt at the same time as it would need to come off any way and it only costs £18.
            Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 8 February 2007, 17:40.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER

Off the top of my head, the only reason I can think of that would cause an oil leak from the top of the engine, is that the cylinder head bolts weren't torqued down correctly when the head was changed, or the head bolts were not re-newed, as they are stretch bolts.
              Also, it could just be leaking from the valve cover (rocker cover) on top of the engine or from a loosely fitting breather hose.
              Bushwacker Any Pun intended there?

Back to the subject, there is one or two other places it could be leaking from, mainly the camshaft oil seal behind the timing belt cover and in it's own little housing, very easy to buggar it up (I nearly did!) also at the back of the head is a semicircular plug that is normally glued in using silicone before fitting the cam cover (rocker cover)
              Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
              X