confused, or what...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused, or what...?

just spent most of the night (im at work n its very, very quiet!) readin all the threads bout cylinder heads, smokey engines, blocked injectors etc, and now i dont know if im comin or goin.I have slight head leak and a bit of a fuel drip on start up (see my previous thread) and all the usual smoking probs. got an mot in 4 weeks so could do with droppin the smoke levels down a bit. Got some good answers to specific questions on my last thread, but now i cant help thinkin i was askin the wrong questions. Is there acually a definitive method of isolating particular probs, or is it all a bit hit and miss?
    My karma ran over my dogma ..
    Paul

For starters, stop obessing over a head problem. Keep an eye on it, that's all. If it's already gone, worrying will serve no purpose.

1) Smoke. Replace the glow plugs and ditch a bottle of Redex in the tank.

2) Fuel leak. Get a gasket set from Milners.

3) Pinpoint where this supposed head oil leak is coming from. You will have oil in the pipes between the air filter housing upto the intake manifold, BTW. Unless it's p1ssing out of there, you've no need to worry about excess blowby, either. I believe you mentioned that in your other thread?

If you still suffer excess smoke after doing number one, try blocking the E.G.R valve, by either method, and if that makes no difference, you probably need to get your injectors checked.

Comment

oil in the pipes

Cheers for that matt. so oil in the intake pipes is norm? is it just from the vapour blown out of the rocker cover breather? Ive also spotted oil residue arount the intake of the turbo. Will that also be comin through the intake pipe, or is the turbo lubed somehow and the oil is comin from there? By the way, wheres the ERG valve n what do i do to block it?
      Last edited by Billy-No-Money; 8 February 2007, 21:34.
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Billy-No-Money
        Cheers for that matt. so oil in the intake pipes is norm? is it just from the vapour blown out of the rocker cover breather? Ive also spotted oil residue arount the intake of the turbo. Will that also be comin through the intake pipe, or is the turbo lubed somehow and the oil is comin from there? By the way, wheres the ERG valve n what do i do to block it?
        take a look here for the egr mod all you need is a cabel tie
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...hlight=egr+mod
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

erg

Cheers, Ill tie the pipe n see what happens. Whats the ERG valve for BTW? I did read somewhere that the ERG valve fitted as standard is set up for japanese driving conditions (Whatever they may be)and is the reason that all imports smoke. Think I also may have seen a device for sale (or did i dream it?)that changes the way the valve works for bout a fiver on ebay, though didnt understand how it worked or why it was needed. Anyone had any experience with this?
          Paul

Comment

Cheers, Ill tie the pipe n see what happens. Whats the ERG valve for BTW? I did read somewhere that the ERG valve fitted as standard is set up for japanese driving conditions (Whatever they may be)and is the reason that all imports smoke. Think I also may have seen a device for sale (or did i dream it?)that changes the way the valve works for bout a fiver on ebay, though didnt understand how it worked or why it was needed. Anyone had any experience with this?
            your right on all accounts but the ball bearing on ebay is just a con.why pay a fiver when you only need the cabel tie
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

:cough:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3062&rd=1&rd=1

and i throw in the pdf of the owners manual and the sunvisor translation.

i know it can be found here, but its for charity!

go on, push that buy it now button
              TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Cheers for that matt. so oil in the intake pipes is norm? is it just from the vapour blown out of the rocker cover breather?
                Yes.

Ive also spotted oil residue arount the intake of the turbo. Will that also be comin through the intake pipe, or is the turbo lubed somehow and the oil is comin from there?
                No idea. Possibly. That's why you have to pinpoint the source of the leak.
                Last edited by MattF; 9 February 2007, 01:11.

Comment

Ive also spotted oil residue arount the intake of the turbo. Will that also be comin through the intake pipe, or is the turbo lubed somehow and the oil is comin from there?
                  Turbo's are lubricated, and (in the case of some surfs) water cooled as well, the Turbo is fed oil under pressure from the engine, and it returns it back to the engine. There is a seal in the turbo, but if it goes there would normally be plumes..... & I do mean plumes of blue smoke & It would use lots & lots of oil, it can be measured in gallons rather than pints!

From what you describe it would be more likley to suggest that the oil residue around the intake would be from the breather, it was similar on both the wife's 2.4 & my 3.0, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
                  Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

turbo seal...?

Cheers for that info. It doesnt use loads of oil, but it does lose a bit. Mybe the seal is on the way out and not completely knacked yet? theres a fair bit of fresh oil rount the intake of the turbo, more than than is apparent in the convoluted hose that joins to it which is what made me wonder if the turbo is lubed from the engine. plus the hose is fairly tightly jubileed to the intake so I would have thought that any oil vapour that got to the turbo intake from the breather would have just been inducted and not able to get onto the turbo casing from inside the pipe? I maybe thought that if it was inducting a lot of oil from the breather then that could have caused the smoking. But if the seal has gone (or is going) presumably it could also be inducting oil that way. Mind you, the smoke is worse at start up ( been told bout the glow plugs on a previous thread), its white not blue, and it does smell more of diesel than engine oil.
                    Paul

Comment

Mind you, the smoke is worse at start up ( been told bout the glow plugs on a previous thread), its white not blue, and it does smell more of diesel than engine oil.
                      Don't spend too much time worrying then. Just get your new glowplugs in. Remember also that at this time of year, a lot of what you take to be smoke is merely condensation and water vapour as the exhaust heats up.

Comment

Working...
                      X