Radiator Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Hose

Is this normal, the rubber hose that leads from the top of the rad to the thermostat was sort of sucked in as if under vaccum. I released the rad cap and it went back in to its normal round shape. I have never noticed this before but then i would not know if it is a normal thing or not.

Paul.

Not normal. As the engine cools it creates a vacuum which should suck coolant from the expansion tank. Perhaps the radiator cap needs replacing or the hose from expansion tank is blocked. If the hose you speak of is very soft replace it.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
      Not normal. As the engine cools it creates a vacuum which should suck coolant from the expansion tank. Perhaps the radiator cap needs replacing or the hose from expansion tank is blocked. If the hose you speak of is very soft replace it.

Nev
      Radiator cap and thermostat is new. But the thermostat was different from the one i took out, the guy in the auto shop told me this was the newer version, and the hose is fairly soft. I will replace this hose anyway. Thanks Nev
      Paul.

Comment

Can anyone post a picture of what the correct thermostat should look like Cheers

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Slugger
          Can anyone post a picture of what the correct thermostat should look like Cheers

Paul

Some pics here...

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/wor...thermostat.htm

The thermostat should have 88 or 89 stamped on it and there should be a small hole in it on the side with a tiny ball bearing type valve (jiggle valve) that should be at the top when fitting the 'stat.

Comment

Sucked in top hose is generally the cap not working properly. As the cooling system cools down, the hot water contracts, if it can't suck water (or air if its empty) back from the expansion tank, the top hose gets sucks in.

Like Nev said, if the pipe to the expansion tank isn't blocked, your new cap is a duff un'

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I took the advice of the forum, and got my rad cap and thermostat direct from toyota main dealer to avoid any probs.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Thanks for all your advice guys , i have already changed the top hose for a new one and will now get a new rad cap just incase. All the other hoses seem ok and not blocked . The new top hose is not getting sucked in like the old one so maybe this was the problem ?

Thanks again
                Paul.

Comment

hose

Seen this happen when expansion tank is to full, may be worth checking coolant is on its mark.
                  Cheers, Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X