Another noisy turbo.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another noisy turbo.............

sorry but didn't want to hi-jack Tony's post.
    I've noticed just recently that my turbo is making lots of noise.
    The whistling is the same as it's always been but now a new sound has crept in, it's a bit hard to describe a sort of wooshing noise when the turbo kicks in.......any idea's people?

And should the green turbo light come on when yas turbo kicks in, dimwit question I know but my owners manual is in the post!!!

Cheers
    Pete
    Life is not a dress rehearsal
    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
    (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

If your turbo is making noise then good it is working it would be normal to hear a wooshing noise as the turbo kicks in, but you shouldn't be alarmed. If you want re assurance then take a spin in another Surf and listen to its turbocharger. (By the way: when you hear this noise are you doing anything (eg. letting go of acclerator? or even acclerating?) This would probably be the turbo spooling or air going back into the turbo, which is normal for turbocharged systems)

Yes, the turbo light will turn on when the turbo is in action.

Cheers
    DRF-BRO

P.S. Does anyone own a 3L SUrf that has a turbo light in the tacho?
    I've only seen the turbo light on 2.4L Surfs. Thanks
    1994 Toyota Hilux Surf 3L SSR-X Limited (Manual)

Comment

if it's i real loud wooshing the it could be the airfilter box is loose? (industion noise)
      or the exhaust... both of these will make a more wooshing noise which will be really loud when you take your foot off the accellerator and the pressure is released
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

yeah but...........

Thanks for the input guys but as I said, this is a new noise which has appeared in the last 200km's. As the turbo kicks in then it begins and gets louder as I accelerate(it stops pretty much as soon as I get off the gas)I've also noticed a lack of power when accelerating and my fuel economy seems to have dropped off by around 40-60kms per tank.............any more thoughts?

BTW:It looks like my turbo seals have begun to leak as I'm seeing a bit of oil build up in the turbo inlet(between turbo and inlet manifold)
        1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Also another thing i forgot to mention, you may want to check the flexible coupling that connects the front exhaust pipe (pipe coming from the engine) for any cracks. At the moment my coupling is cracked and as the turbo spools you can hear the whistle leaking out of the crack, also when releasing the accel. the whoosh noise is quite distinct. It looks like this:

http://www.yotasurf.com/Forums/attac...achmentid=2406

Cheers,
          DRF-BRO
          1994 Toyota Hilux Surf 3L SSR-X Limited (Manual)

Comment

Thanks for your help chaps, think I've found the problem, see my new post for more ramblings!!
            1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Well I did a search before starting a new thread and got my answer!
              Pulled the turbo this evening to have my initial diagnosis of shot turbo confirmed, quite a bit of oil on the induction turbo and the bearing is slacker than a tarts knickers on a Friday night!!

Going to drop it off to be reconned and all should be lovely, all i got to do now is get the aircon sorted, new suspension, new stereo and get my injectors overhauled/replaced and that should be it...for at least a couple of months!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

rattle

Originally posted by dabigman
                if it's i real loud wooshing the it could be the airfilter box is loose? (industion noise)
                or the exhaust... both of these will make a more wooshing noise which will be really loud when you take your foot off the accellerator and the pressure is released
                What about a rattling noise and a smelly odour is that normal ( for the car not me)
                All work and no play

Comment

Working...
                X