Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pan heater or block heater??

Hey there gents,

I live in canada, and being so requires some aid in keeping that 2.4L warm.
    Now i don't think a block heater is available/pratical, but does anyone know of a reason not to use an oil pan heater. I bought one today, just this small ceramic unit that looks like it should do the trick.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Paradis
    Hey there gents,

Now i don't think a block heater is available/pratical, but does anyone know of a reason not to use an oil pan heater. I bought one today, just this small ceramic unit that looks like it should do the trick.

Any thoughts?

Absolutely. If you can keep the oil in the pan warm/thin it will be sucked up easier by the oil pump and get to the camshaft at the top of the engine faster where it's needed on start-up .

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis
      Hey there gents,

Any thoughts?
      The oil pan heater will do exactly what it's designed for. For a full engine freeze, however, it'll not make much difference. The block heaters are easily enough available in your neck of the woods. The two favourites are the block heater which is placed in the side of the block inplace of one of the core/welch plugs, or the inline hose type, which goes in the top/bottom rad hose. The plug type heater is apparently the more effective of the two, but both do the job.

Comment

I Have been thinking of something like that for a few years now, but have been thinking along the lines of a Kenlow heater, but at 3kw seems pricey to run. what sort of power do these block / oil pan heaters require?
        Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
          I Have been thinking of something like that for a few years now, but have been thinking along the lines of a Kenlow heater, but at 3kw seems pricey to run. what sort of power do these block / oil pan heaters require?
          No idea. This page has some links on it that may yield some info.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl119e.htm

Comment

where abouts in alberta are you mate, worked at genesse power station about 60k's outside of west edmonton. beautiful country and sure can be cold this time of year
            TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

I live in a city a little over an hour south of Edmonton called Red Deer. Yah, its gets $$$$$$ cold here right about this time of year.

I think i'm gonna stick with a rad hose heater for now, see how it goes

Comment

fellow canuck

Hey buddy,

I live in regina saskatchewan, even colder than red deer! I have a pan heater and an inline rad hose heater hooked up in mine, and that works. Also I'm considering getting a second battery installed, getting a start in our winters requires some juice!

erik

Comment

Here's some good info about block heaters, etc.:

http://toyotadiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2771
                  '92 V6 to 2L-TE swap in progress
                  '87 22r gasser

Comment

Working...
                  X