Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing sunroof

Hi All,
    Thanks for your help so far...after the service she's running like a dream...i have the outstanding issue of malfunctioning sunroof and was thinking of buying another (working) one of ebay and replace...

At the moment, when the button is pressed I can hear the motor running (and a clicking sound with it) but the glass is not moving and it seems to me that it is not closed properly (ie its not flush with the body if you get my meaning)...

So, can anyone shed a light on how easy/difficult it is to replace a sunroof unit?

Many thanks

Sorry, can't help with the reaplacement, but if it's dropped at the back, you should be able to push it back up slightly, and then there are 2 sliding clips on the tracks, one on each side, if you push these forwards by hand it should go back to sitting flush, or a bit nearer to flush, if these are in the backwards position, your sunroof can just be slid open.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

My sunroof does exactly the same - the plastic toothed blocks that are moved by the cables (which are spun by the motor) have stripped their teeth.

Unfortunately Toyota won't sell just the blocks, they want £96 per side for a new cable, so I've just left it - I now open it by hand - grab the plastic moulding under the glass at the front and pull really hard and the glass slides back, then to close it do the opposite and then feel under the rear edges of the glass on both sides and push the slider blocks forward to hold the glass up. I then jam a piece of rubber pipe in behind on one side to stop it moving.

Removing the sunroof is easy, just cumbersome as it's a huge plastic tray about the size of the roof - you strip out the interior side plastic trim pieces, then slide the headlining out backwards, and then unclip the drainage tubes from each corner and unbolt the entire sunroof - I think it was about 8 bolts or so. I let it drop at one end onto the headrests and then slid it backwards out of the tailgate.

Putting it back is tricky on your own, but easy if you've got someone to help.

Comment

Got a good deal on ebay for a new sunroof so I'll be fitting it then..thanks for the helpful notes...

cheers,
        Tommy

Comment

Working...
        X