'91 Hilux Surf tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '91 Hilux Surf tips

Sorry to be the newb guys, but i was hoping for some insight.

I live in Canada and i'm importing a '91 Hilux Surf from Japan. I've already imported a vehicle, so i'm familiar with the process, but i'm just wondering if they are any standard issues i should check with a used Hilux of this model. Like i know when i imported my Skyline, there are certain issues that are specific to the R32, and i'm just wondering if The 2.4 Hilux Surf had similar common issues that i should be aware of.

Here's a link to the perticular vehicle for anyone to peak at. Any insight is welcome,
    http://www.jdmconnection.ca/STOCK9024.html

Oh btw, 1st post, and i hope to stick around hopefully contribute to your established MB if i can!

Welcome to the nut house

Being a 2.4 , i would change the engine and autobox oil , flush the cooling system (don,t forget to burp it ) and also put on a new thermostat and rad cap................A little bit to stop overheating and worry about cracked heads

There is alot of info covered many times on here and the search button normally comes up trumps

And watch out for the little red button and the self activating cloaking device
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

thanx for info, i'll try searching about, but i didn't know what to be searching for to start off. I guess just 2.4L will do for now

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis
        thanx for info, i'll try searching about, but i didn't know what to be searching for to start off. I guess just 2.4L will do for now
        LN130 and 2nd gen will also give results
        also look here
        http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/
        and here
        http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

I've never seen the underside of a surf so clean, and with paint on too!!
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
            LN130 and 2nd gen will also give results
            also look here
            http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/
            and here
            http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
            Thanx my man, that second has a lot of good little questions to sort through. I'll have to do some reading too, but i was just checking mainly to find out if there was some common problem to the 2nd gen that i didn't know about, such as the R32 GTRs have oil pump issues, stuff like that.

And, that chasis looks to be in fantastic shape, definitely part of the allure of picking that perticular one.

Comment

The one natural weak spot the 2.4's have is the head. However, it is one of
              those problems that should never crop up unless you fail to maintain the cooling
              system and the engine overheats by a sizable degree. In all the cracked heads
              reported, most have been due to lack of cooling system maintenance until it
              was too late. Bad luck will always play part in the odd few, but keep your
              cooling system happy and fully working, and you should have no cause for
              concern. As Woodzie mentioned, all oils, fluids, rad cap, thermostat and coolant
              should be replaced as soon as you get it. I would recommend all the belts and
              tensioners as well. Replace all the filters too.

Comment

hmm cooling system hey, right well i'll read up on that. Thanx gents

Comment

Just out of curiosty, why do all the Canadians on here only get 2.4's, the 3.0TD Surf is a far nicer truck to drive with more power and better MPG.

Is it an Canadian certain age of import thing? 93' on gets you 3.0TD truck.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Tony,

Think they cannot grey import cars under 15 years old.
                    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                      Tony,

Think they cannot grey import cars under 15 years old.
                      Correct and may go to 25. They're trying to do this in Australia as well.

Nev

Comment

yah, it has to be 15 years, so going into 2007 we can import anything up to 1992,
                        And correct, there is talk of changing the 15 to 25 year law, which i see being totally political driven than anything else.
                        I doubt it will go through, but if it does, then that means no R34 for a long time...

Comment

I think it has to do with buying aus goods only from new, where as our gov let any tom dick or harry in then tax the sh1t out of the rest of us to pay for it, and watch as our industries go down the pan, whilst lining their own pockets at the same time.

Pollaticians stink, the whole world over!!!
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                            I think it has to do with buying aus goods only from new, where as our gov let any tom dick or harry in then tax the sh1t out of the rest of us to pay for it, and watch as our industries go down the pan, whilst lining their own pockets at the same time.

Pollaticians stink, the whole world over!!!
                            Happy New Year to you as well!

You can still buy new Toyotas (and others) in Aus, it was more to do with the big companys losing sales (and therefore profits) to the Grey Imports. The Aussie policy makers probably got palms greased to stop the imports by the big car firms. I'm amazed its not happened over here to be honest, I'd say our lot more likely to be swayed by big buisness over the public good than anyone.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

We seem to be one of the few countries that don't impose heavy import duties or other restrictions on foriegn imports of all kinds.

Lets face it its open season on whats left of "Great Britain", but I think we've had this discussion before.

Anyway, ignore my rants, Its a new year and lets hope its a happy one for everybody.
                              Last edited by plumb bob; 1 January 2007, 20:47.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X