yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooling system - is this very bad or minor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling system - is this very bad or minor?

Hi all, sorry to bring a problem to the board straight away but I'm too worried to run my girl until I get some advice. Would be most grateful if anyone can help.

I have a temp gauge going not just into the red but off the scale. OK, sure you've heard this one before, but a bit of history first.

Bought the Surf ('91 2.4 TD) 2 years ago. I knew about the head problems, fully expected it to be gone or on the way, and sure enough 3 months later I had the classic cracked head. Usual story, temp gauge shot off the scale, no warm air through heaters, all water blown out through expansion tank, the works.

Had it replaced by the local garage, seemed like a good job (I nagged them endlessly to make sure everything would be right, lol!), and for 2 years she has been a fantastic trouble free surf. I watched the temp gauge like a hawk for a year, it was always absolutely stable and never went above just under halfway, so I suppose I may have relaxed a bit by now. I don't do offroad, just rough tracks around our farm and on road to town, so there's not much danger of getting bunged up with mud.

Then 2 nights ago after a short run into town, I was nearly home and I looked at the temp gauge to see it way up into the red, off the scale. Stopped and switched off immediately, flipped the bonnet. There was no sign of overheating - no excessive heat, no 'hot' smell, no sign of water or steam under the bonnet, and the cap was still on the expansion tank.

Waited a few mins, restarted, gauge just shot up into the red again. Switched off PDQ. Eventually after about 15mins I decided to drive the last 1/4 mile home just to get her off the road. Left her alone until morning, started up (first time as usual). Temp gauge did nothing for a bit, then shot up into the red after about 1 minute of running. Engine wasn't even warm, so I'm thinking 'fantastic, this might just be an electrical fault with the gauge'. However, the not so good news was that I looked at the water in the expansion tank and it's black - not jet black but there's definitely oil in it. It was also low, but not empty. Have since topped up the rad with some clean water, it hardly took any to fill it, so I've clearly not lost a load of water.

Had it running again today for 5 mins, gauge did exactly the same thing (nothing, then shooting straight up over the red after a minute or two.) I can't tell if there's ongoing water loss as I'm too worried to leave her running, but there's no visible water leak either when running or switched off. There was barely any heat coming off the engine and I could still comfortably touch the rad cap, but I switched off anyway.

So, in summary, I don't know if this is
    a) a disaster already
    b) disaster in the making that could be avoided
    c) just a minor pain in the rear that no-one needs in Christmas week.

Good signs are the lack of obvious heat from the engine bay, the fact that heaters were getting enough warm air to start demisting and that I still have most of the fluid.
    Bad signs are the oil in the water and my general paranoia, lol

Can anyone please help (bear in mind I'm a technical numptie AND a girlie, so be gentle with me!)

Anne

Try a new temperature gauge sender first.
    The sender probe/sensor is about 12 --18 quid and screws into the thermostat housing just under the radiator cap.

Oh, BTW, Welcome on board Anne.

Comment

Are you SURE that there is oil in the water, Coolant itself can be blackish looking after looking a while and Glycol ( coolant) feels pretty slippery ( oily) to touch. Check under the oil cap for " mayonnaise" the sign of water in the oil.

If its shooting up as you describe I would suggest its the temperature sender, at idle speed it just aint going to get that hot after 1 minute, I would however want it fixed pronto as I like to monitor the temp and clearly you do too

Everything you describe points to the sender which is a minor problem, from your story I just cant see a head problem or even an overheat problem, Id get that seen to first, then see what the result is. If its all OK then you can use the scare as a warning to do all the service routines the cooling system needs, Thermostat change, new rad cap, make sure electric fan kicks in and check viscous fan is working well. If youre scared to drive it to a garage and I can understand your fears, get an auto elect to come out and check the temp sender.

After youve read this, pop back for another look by which time some real experts might have replied. ( assuming theyre not all off out to the pub)
      Сви можемо

Comment

I think your temp sender could be stuffed, if the water level is OK, if it was that hot your wouldn't be able to touch the rad cap with bare hands.

Is the electric fan coming on? It should come on when the motor gets hotter than usual, which is a good way of telling how hot the engine is.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Change the sendor as suggested and also check the oil cooler fitted behind the spin on oil filter , these crack and allow oil into the cooling system and turn the coolant to black slush and make the coolant hoses soft and then split .
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Could be something bad happening to the pump, are your heaters hot? If not it could not be circulating water properly.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Wow, thanks so much for your replies everyone. So helpful, and exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'll have another look at the water, and for the 'mayonnaise'. There was no sign of any when I last topped up the oil, so fingers crossed I've just seen some dirty old coolant and panicked a bit.

I so hope it's the sender, if it is I will never have been more happy to spend £18 quid in my life :-) I do like to keep a close eye on the temp, and yes a bit of a scare will get me back down to the garage pronto. If I know it's OK to leave it ticking over a bit longer despite what the temp gauge is saying I'll also watch what's doing with the fan and the heaters.

Thanks again, I'll start with these suggestions and come back to the thread when I know some more. I love my Surf (hubby detests it but I'm it's biggest fan & she performs better for me )

Anne
              x

Comment

If you need to take it for a short run to the garage, try doing so with both front and back heaters on full and full speed on the fans. That should help keep it running cool if you are still worried about it until you get and fit a new sender unit.
                Mike G

Comment

Temperature Alarm

Gooday Mate, I saw these on Ebay, they might be helpful for Ya.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MOTOR-TEMPERA...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Working...
                  X